SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm PRETTY sure I remember attending sailboat shows in large indoor convention centers like Los Angeles and Long Beach California where keel boats were on display. This would have been mid 60's to 70's, the most vivid memories are of the first HC I ever saw and a Cal 40 that had a little phone booth around the engine with an etched glass door that read "Engine Room".
So am I getting a little muddled or are there others who remember 30-40 foot boats being shown indoors with mass attendance like an auto show now?

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
They still have the Atlantic City Boatshow indoors here at the Old Boardwalk Hall, but it 99 9/10s powerboats

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
What is a true shame about the AC boatshow.. the inside of Boardwalk hall is tall enough that the sailboats could have their "tall" rigs up (125 feet from floor to ceiling).. but it's almost all powerboats now

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I went to the Paris boat show one year. Unbelievable. Told them I'd seen somewhere that people with foreign passports were given a free entry, and they let me in. (I think they're not so lenient now.) The French were focused on centerboarders, so I went to the X-yachts keelboats that were on display and talked with the designer/builder Nils Jeppesen for a half hour or so with no one else interrupting. (He speaks English.) They since developped into the European version of J/boats. The Paris show is coming up again in December!

·
Registered
14 Posts
In Chicago every January we have the indoor "sailboat only" show. Numerous 30 to 40 foot boats. Last year they even had a smaller cat. Tons of vendors as well. Anyway, its one of the things that gets me through the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts