SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a natural companion thread to "must-haves on board."

So. What do you have that really isn't necessary, but ups your standard of living on the boat?

Here's an example: A friend is changing the (perfectly serviceable) upholstery of the boat they bought a year ago. It's not her style and not her color, though. Part of making it "their" home instead of "a" home.

I'm having trouble thinking of my own indulgences, we've been so busy spending time/money/energy on necessities getting our boat ready for cruising - new sails, solar panels, standing rigging, etc. But I will ... ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
stereo

I would love to upgrade to decent sound system with speakers in the cockpit. I have a few other projects to complete before that, such as re-doing my non-skid and new cockpit cushions.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Ice. lots of nice Ice

·
Registered
994 Posts
I am having a full battened main built this year. The admiral may want airconditioning this year as this summer we are sailing to Chicago and it will be warm there (for her). As for the Ol' Irwin, every thing has been provided for. Just need April. I did buy a new VHF.

Mark

:eek:

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
A motor for the dink. A generator so I can use more juice than I need to. 3 kinds of tea I really like instead of something cheaper.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Why are you "Guys" in "Her Sailnet". For some reason I don't think that is what Eryka had in mind. It reminds me of the time that Sailingdog was giving advise to the ladies about "Feminine Issues."

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmmm, ice, toilet paper, sound, and cigars. All the comforts of home and only one small mention of booze. My thoughts:

How about a good light in the cockpit so I still read after the sun goes down.

Or, screens that can actually keep the no-see-ums from eating me alive all night.

I'd love a place in the salon where I could sit back and cogitate, when the weather's bad and I'm stuck below decks, that's as comfortable as my easy chair back home.

Finally, I'd love a berth that's easy to get in and out of, without having to crawl over my honey, when I have to pull anchor watch all night long.

Grant me these few pleasures and I can learn to drink my rum & tonics warm.

·
1,000 Posts
Why are you "Guys" in "Her Sailnet". For some reason I don't think that is what Eryka had in mind. It reminds me of the time that Sailingdog was giving advise to the ladies about "Feminine Issues."
And what are YOU doing here too?? takes a queer to see a queer you know.....:laugher :laugher

Hey..I remeber that..SD was telling the woman how to use a tampon or something...

Tim, can you find that thread??? that one was Hillarious....:laugher :laugher :laugher he was all serious about it , too!!!:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have glass wine glasses and champagne flutes on board, wrapped in socks to prevent breakage. We always carry champagne to drink once we get to the Bahamas. I also have various holiday napkins on board for the appropriate holidays (ie Easter, Valentines Day, St. Patricks Day.)

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Indulgence on my boat is me just owning one to begin with. But I have to say I did put some "Female" touches on her with new curtains, throw pillows and one of my paintings. Since I single hand though, my main indulgence was to make her fit for me to take her in and out myself. I had a friend of mine make me some special hooks that grasp my lines in my dock so I can get the boat in and out without hitting my neighbors. My other upgrade was putting music on the boat using my IPOD.
Galleywise - nesting SS cooking pots. I loves these. Tumblers for my rum drinks.

·
1,000 Posts
new curtains, throw pillows and one of my paintings.
Bwahahahahahaha

:laugher :laugher :laugher :laugher :laugher

that is so typical....:laugher :laugher :laugher

why do you girls need to have 15 pillows on the beds??

Everynight I go to bed, I spend 1/2 hour piling pillows on the floor...

:laugher :laugher :laugher :laugher :laugher

You know how to see if a man is married or gay??

Count the pillows...straight singles have a rag for pillows....married and gay man, have 9 pillows...

:D :D :D

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Ha! Sorry to hijack a bit Eryka...but right now in our master bathroom...not our guest bathroom...there are 11 towels. No joke...11 towels. I am not allowed to use ANY of these 11 towels...they are for decoration. The towels I am allowed to use are outside the bathroom in a closet. What's up with that!! :D :D :D

Anyway...my luxury is a queen sized mattress with innersprings an the aft cabin. Back on topic unless you care to explain the towel Mel!! :D

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
toilet paper. :) Love me some 2 ply.
Darn! Several people warned me to stock up on paper goods before we leave the U.S. ... but that was the locker I'd planned to use for BEER!:D

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Giu - we've got lots of pillows on board, but except for the 3 on the V-berth, they're just covers stuffed with off-season clothing and spare bedding. Does that count?

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good-color lighting? Right now we use halogen for general cabin lighting when plugged in at the dock, and warm-white LEDs at anchor. Their power usage is great <.5 amp, and bright enough, but the color is less than wonderful. We're considering "indulging" in this rather pricey light: Home which some friends swear by, color is very nice and only uses .8 amp on high - has anyone else used them and what do you think?

I know candles and oil lamps use zero power but it just won't work for our space.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts