SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pondering the idea of replacing the air floor, which has since had a catastrophic failure, with plywood and wondering if anyone has successfully attempted this. Aside from the airfloor, the rest of the 9 foot Maxxon inflatable boat is in reasonably good shape and a replacement tender is currently unaffordable. The boat usually sits either in the water or on the deck of our sailboat year round so I am not concerned with portability, i.e. folding it up for storage.
I am thinking of using the existing airfloor as a template to cut out a single piece of plywood and cover the edges with a rubber hose or Styrofoam swim noodle to prevent chafing. I am not sure of what type or thickness of plywood I should use, or if this idea would even work. Any suggestions or experience with this type of project is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done this. Be sure to SEAL the edges of the (exterior grade) plywood with epoxy. Best is to 'route out' a small amount of the inner plys along the edges and fill/fare with thickened epoxy. I used duct tape for chafe protection with no adverse effect to the hypalon.
Thx RichH, do you recall what thickness of plywood was used, and did you cut just one piece for the entire floor, or connect several smaller pieces together?

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
My Achilles is a wood floor type. I would guess plywood is 1/2 inch. It's in four pieces which makes handling and storage easier. In addition to channels to make the pieces move together, there are stiffening channels that snap onto the sides. I have used the floor without the side stiffening channels at times as they are a pain to put in and it works just fine without them. Just a bit less stiff.

Edit: Measured the plywood and it's closer to 3/8". I suspect it's really 1 cm as the boat was made in Japan.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
I have the plywood floor from a dead dink on the top deck and am going to cut it to size for our air floor KABOAT. Its only around 3/4 of the length of our current dink but no one sits up front there anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback. Since there are no dealers where I live to buy a floor, nor have I seen inflatable parts for sale online or in the classifieds and necessity is the mother of invention, I am going to attempt this project. I will try making it out of 3/8" fir plywood and make sure it is all sealed really well and use some foam to protect the edges. I think using just one piece for the entire floor will make it simpler provided I measure twice , or more, and cut once. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
By the way, I found the dead dink in a marina skip / dumpster. Sometimes it is worth having a look.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I got the floor built using some plywood and a cedar 2x4 leftover from a fencing project. I ripped the 2x4 in half then ran a dado down the centre to fit over the plywood. Did lots of measuring and trial fits, cut a few angles and came up with this. If it doesn't work in the boat I will add on some sides and bottom for when I meet my maker.

Attachments

·
HANUMAN
2,840 Posts
Looks good. Keep us posted.

I'm on my second inflatable floor. Who would have thought my high priced Hypalon boat would have a PVC floor?

Defender.com sells some solid floors designed to replace inflatable floors/.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Two-

That looks fantastic except that it's a bit large to stow.
It could use some hinges or to be sectionalized in pieces.
question,

if you use hinges in the middle how would you fix them(make rigid) once in place? would you simply use side peices(slats) like the 3 peice ply floors in older dinghies or is there something easier and simpler to do?

cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.