SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does one do to carry one on a plane? Can one? Can one pack one in luggage if on can't carry it on?

Thank you in advance for your counsel.

·
19,488 Posts
Depends on the carrier, and the personnel at screening/security.

We've been refused permission for carry-on. It could have gone in baggage. The irony, of course, is there's a couple of CO2 cartridges under every seat in the cabin, but we weren't allowed to bring another... :rolleyes:

We even had a security supervisor tell us the cylinder could start a fire :confused:

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
846 Posts
Most airways and unions of airways allow to carry one cartrige on the pfd and one spare. Although carrying compreesed gasse is not allowed this is not the case for CO2 cartriges. Google for your carrier and CO2 cartriges and most probably you will find out that they are allowed. You better carry a printout of the document with you.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Print out the brochure and carry it with you. You will likely have to show it to a supervisor. I highlighted the applicable section, and the supervisor thanked me.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
A few years ago, you may encounter problem as carry-on. Now TSA has improved in doing their job. I never have any problem. No, I don't carry a printout for them to read. It is not my job. :)

·
Water Lover
773 Posts
The individual airlines may post their policies in their Conditions of Carriage or some such document.

Southwest Airlines seems to refer travelers to the TSA rules, but additionally prohibits self-defense sprays.
Carryon Baggage

While Southwest doesn't talk about inflatable life vests, it does prohibit cartridges for inflating life rafts:
Life Raft Cartridges associated with a self-inflating life raft must be removed and are not allowed on Southwest.
https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_12

FAA brochure...
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/media/materialscarriedbypassengersandcrew.pdf
Note the wording
"with the approval of the aircraft operator"

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
The cylinder is the problem not the PFD.

Up to the individual airline.

Some do and some don't.

Buy a new cylinder on arrival?

I have had crew flying into St Lucia on AA who had no problems carrying a cylinder and a spare.

·
Registered
602 Posts
John Kretchmer wrote in his last book about how when he tried to take an inflatable life raft onto a plane shortly after 9/11, the airline insisted he remove the CO2. In the process, the raft inflated in the middle of the airport like a kids "bouncy house"!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts