SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be cruising the caribbean in about 2-3 years. I am buying the boat now but am uncertain about buying a RIB or a Rollaway. The questions of stowage and performance have already been debated. My question concerns coral reefs and whether a rollaway inflatable bottom is going to shred the first time I mistakenly bump into a reef going ashore.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought an inflatable this time around, but in the future I''m going to skip inflatables all together and just get a hard dinghy.

The only advantage to an inflatable is that it can be collapsed and stored away on longer voyages....but they also need maintenance....UV protection and all that. The RIBs are not so easy to stow for obvious reasons...and they all seem to cheat you out of room in them.

My son has a solid dinghy and says he is much happier...and in general they can be had for less $$ and less upkeep as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.