SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!Just seeking advice. We are seeking to purchase a 1980 Whitby 42 and have done a preliminary survey since it is out of our region. The surveyor has found elevated moisture levels in the hull, 15- 20%. He believes this is in the outer surface plys of fiberglass. The Whitby is solid , thick fiberglass, and there are no apparent blisters or delamination. There are some hairline cracks oozing brown liquid. The surveyor believes the moisture ingress will be slow, and that , possibly, it could be another 20 years before those surface plys need replacing. Also, he states this is a common finding in older boats, and he believes this to be a Whitby in good condition. We are doing a more extensive survey soon. We were under the impression that a little mositure on the deck of older boats is common, but I have not heard about it being common in the hull. Does anyone have experience with this issue?
MANY THANKS

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your time and advice. The moisture, especially the brown oozing liquid has me very much concerned. We have a thorough, well recommended surveyor who will do a complete survey this Friday ( yes, I know Friday the 13th). I Appreciate the extra information. By the way, it is my understanding from alot of reading , that the Whitby is solid FRP to the edge of the waterline, and balsa core from the waterline up. Is this correct? Thanks Cruisingmom

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What did you say?:D :D :D

Cruisingmom, as you can see we like to kid around quite a bit here, so don't take Boatpoker's comments as anything other than a little kidding.

Boatpoker posted the note above about the balsa coring extending to within 15" of the hull centerline, which would put it well below the waterline. You should mention this info to your surveyor, and you should be able to find evidence of this when you inspect the inside of the hull during survey.

Good luck and, please, consider giving us an update after the survey is completed. We're curious too.:)
Many many thanks for your wise input, John. I copied your info for the surveyor as well. Just want to gather as much information as possible before making the decision. We have looked at alot of Whitbys, but this is our first survey. In fact, we looked at a Pearson 39 , which the owner claimed was not balsa cored below the waterline, and we were able to find evidence to the contrary all by ourselves.thanks again will keep you posted

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much for your time Boatpoker! We do, in fact, have a SAMS accredited, well recommended surveyor surveying the boat today. My husband, the detail oriented (for lack of a better word :)) engineer will be with him. He brought along all the recommendations from you wonderful folks. You were closer to correct than I, Boatpoker, as far as the balsa core in the Whitby 42. It is cored "from 12" below sheer to within about 1 foot below static water line" from Whitby specifications.
( Thanks "The Incredible Hull"!)
Also, to our knowledge, the boat has no current blisters, just "elevated moisture in the hull" with "scattered hairline cracks oozing brown liquid". My husband will see their location today. They are so small we did not see them on our careful, 4 hour , personal inspection of the boat on a bright sunny day. Thanks for your words of wisdom, will keep you posted. cruisingmom

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI thanks all, turns out there appears to be no blisters in the hull, moisture level is closer to 10-15% below the waterline, and the cracks are few and miniscule, appear to be hairline cracks in the gelcoat, with a small brown line( not oozing) almost invisible. Our surveyor states we should be able to go another 20 years without worry. May be a bit of moisture in the outer plys of FRP, but ingress is very slow.There are other issues with the boat ( as always with older boats), but thankfully, the hull is not one of them. If it was, I would have walked away. Many thanks all of you. cruisingmom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.