SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I am in the process of winterizing my 21-ft trailer sailboat that is stored on land near the ocean in a Pacific NW environment for the winter (Vancouver, BC) - high humidity.

I just installed a new Vetus 55L flexible water tank in the boat this year and do not want it to get fouled with algae, etc. Because of the set up, its not possible to remove it from the boat. My plan is to pump out all the existing water.

My worry with just leaving it drained is that there could be some pools of water or ingressing moisture that could mold/grow algae inside the tank/lines.

I was thinking of using the "sterilization" procedure in the manual, filling the whole tank and lines with 5:1 water:white vinegar mixture and then leaving it all winter. Would this be a suitable strategy to combat any algae/mold growth? Or should I just leave it as fully drained as possible?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Vinegar isnt going to necessarily 'sanitize' the tank. Under the right conditions it will/can be a nutrient for fungals, etc. which 'thrive' in low pH / acidic conditions.
Id suggest to fully drain it as well as you can, close it off to the atmosphere, then simply 'sanitize' it in the spring when you recommission it.
You may want to check with the listed 'cleaning' procedures for such a tank, such as using 'mild' caustics (high pH) to remove and 'dissolve' any residual 'growth' inside it ... before thorough rinsing followed by 'sanitization'.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had flexible water tanks in my Dufour 35 - factory spec so I don't know what brand they might have been. I just drained them completely and left the access caps open for winter storage for 18 years. Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts environment, so colder and less humid than your area, but never had any contamination issues. After initially draining the tanks, I did dump some water system anti-freeze into the tanks through the deck fills so that all of the lines and fittings up to the tanks would be protected, and pumped that same anti-freeze through the sink and head faucets to protect them as well, then drained whatever was left in the tanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.