SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,461 Posts
If your working in Gaithersburg, will you be living nearby? (I Live in Gaithersburg/Rockville) If so, you should also consider marina on the Magothy River, Patapsco River/Rock Creek/Bodkin Creeks or even North of there.

The Chesapeake is one of the best cruising grounds in the world, you could spend your entire life sailing the bay and still not see it all. Yes, many places on the bay are shallow, but the majority is easily accessible and you will find wonderful anchorages abundant.

Marina prices vary widely, usually based on facilities and location. Annapolis is going to be the most expensive, but offer some great conveniences and of course a prime sailing culture, just be willing to pay big $$$ for it. The Magothy has few public marinas, I think the residence like that :) But it is a ideal spot on the bay for sailing North or South. The Patapsco has many marina's and I am most familiar with them in Rock & Bodkin Creeks. I don't think you will have much of a problem finding a slip for a 34 foot boat anywhere, but it seems once you need 40' or larger the slips become more sparse around here, however the economic situation seems to have kept more boats on land than normal?

The one thing you will miss is the great restaurants in San Fransisco/Berkley.

Just a few quick thoughts, I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts...

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,461 Posts
I think you will want to plan to keep the boat somewhere roughly between Deale Md and Annapolis. There are quite a few options there, most within about an hour drive of G-berg.
I am not disagreeing with JRP, but consider the holiday/weekend traffic, Deale and Annapolis are not ideally located from G Burg/Rockville...why? You would need to use the Capital Beltway/Rt 50, you don't want to do that often if possible.

From G Burg/Rockville, the Patapsco/Magothy Rivers would be much less stressful to get to IMO, as you can head east through Howard County and Anne Arundel to reach these areas and avoid the weekend beach traffic.

Look at a map, you'll see what I mean :eek:

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,461 Posts
Pain,

Yes, agreed. I do the same when I have to go to work in Arnold :( Its just my opinion, I like to visit Naptown, and if my wallet could afford it I would keep my boat there too, I guess I just rather spend the $3000-$5000 a year I save keeping the boat North on something/one else ;) I don't mind sparrows point, I just don't look at it :) and I am not a dockside social member of a marina so I could not care much about amenities, just good sailing folks and a good marina.

There is unarguably more BS to deal with driving anywhere near Annapolis during the summer, the Bay Bridge back ups, the Severn River Bridge back ups, the speed police everywhere, the unpredictable Capital Beltway, even 97 sucks! But then once your on the boat it is pretty sweet to be near Annapolis isn't it, oh wait, I wouldn't know. ;) LOL

I should mention the big plus for Annapolis or South (Deale, Herrington Harbor) is the less boat traffic & crab pots, and usually more wind as well as the central location on the bay.

I have been sailing/boating the Chesapeake since I was a kid and haven't seen half of it!

Welcome

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,461 Posts
In our experience the Chesapeake is the best kept secret in the world
I must be honest, and so should the others who posted here and sail here...the Chesapeake sucks!

No one should come here...ever, stay away, is there nothing to see or do, the people are nasty and we like it that way. You can't sail anywhere, the is noooooo wind whatsoever, the crabs are not nearly as good as yours from the west coast, the anchorages are few and far between. If I could move somewhere else where we could actually use our boat I would in a second. Seriously stay away, you will hate it

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves!!!
:laugher

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.