SailNet Community banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
I am not disagreeing with JRP, but consider the holiday/weekend traffic, Deale and Annapolis are not ideally located from G Burg/Rockville...why? You would need to use the Capital Beltway/Rt 50, you don't want to do that often if possible.
I live in Gaithersburg and keep my boat in Shady Side (West River). And while the comute might be bad at times, I think you should consider the entire picture. Once at the boat sailing is fantastic (unless you are trying to scare away newcomers). Galesville (I am right across the river from Galesville), is a "sailing" area. It takes me about an hour and 15 minutes unless I am gfoing durring rush hour. But if I consider how long it takes to get to "The Bay" (out to the open Bay, not in the river) it takes me about 2 hours and fifteen minutes to open water from home. I think that is worth considering.

Annapolis, for me is too crowded, with so many sailboats and powerboats. And The Bay is not as wide at the Bridge as it is further south.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have been sailing the Chesapeake for 39 years and haven't seen it all. Blanchard, in "Cruising the Chesapeake" says that there is more coastline in the Chesapeake Bay than all the rest of the continental US combined.
From the C&D canal to Hampton Roads Va. Yeah, really ugly. Your wife will hate it. Personally, i found SF bay to be a little small:)
To get an idea of the size, get a chart of SF bay and overlay it on the Chesapeake. (same scale) You'll be suprised.

I keep my boat in Middle River. I like the upper bay, but down south is nice too.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
George,

Any news on your potential transfer?

Did we persuade or dissuade you?:D

P.S. You're not likely to ever run into Painkiller -- the Bay is plenty big enough and it would be easy to avoid him. That's what the rest of us do.:D :D

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.