SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sail a Tartan 37 on the Chesapeake bay and i am considering a PS40 as a next boat to do more and farther cruising on. My question is about how well they sail in light air and also how easily they are handled in close quarters under power. Also if there are other Pacific Seacraft forums that I should consider posting on then please let me know. Thanks, Jay

·
62 Posts
Before answering, I should probably point out that owners tend to be chauvinistic about their boats, so anything I or other PS owners say is likely to be a bit biased...

But yes, the 40 is a pretty good light-air sailer. When the sails are in good shape, she will do modestly well in 5-10 kt. Anything over 10 and she's very happy. All boats are trade-offs -- a 24,000 pound PS-40 can't match sail a 40-foot 15,900 pound J-122 in light air, but if you're considering distance cruising and you want a boat that will carry you in comfort in a wide range of winds and sea conditions, the PS is tough to beat. The biggest "enemies" of light air performance in the PS, I think, are old sails (when we replaced our 10-year-old sails a few years ago, I was astonished to see our light air speeds jump a half to a full knot!) and inattention to sail trim -- minding the out haul, vang, traveler, cunningham, and jib fairlead positions make a big difference.

How she performs in close quarters depends, I think, a lot on the prop. We have a MaxProp which provides great thrust in reverse, and, after a lot of practice, the boat is easy to back, turn, and get in and out of tight places (although, as I get older, I do yearn for bow thrusters). Because of her displacement, a big trick to getting her to move and turn tightly is the use of bursts of prop thrust. When we're backing and turning, I sound like a kid gunning the engine on a high-performance car, but those quick bursts will help spin her quite handily.

Hope this helps a bit.

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PS40 -- #46

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. As an owner, you have given me great perspective on my questions. Having never sailed on this boat, i am trying to minimize my" leap of faith", in possibly owning one.

How long have you had your PS, what year is your boat, is it rigged and sailed as a cutter, where do you sail and have you ever had any issues with blisters inside your water tanks (another Sailnet forum member suggested that this blister problem was common and not good - that may have been his only negative comment.

Thanks in advance for any additional information that you can share.

With appreciation,

Jay
s/v Sweetbay
T37 #449

1 - 5 of 5 Posts