SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for infomation or links for what other countries require when checking into customs?(fee's, paperwork, things I should have got before I left the US) I know this is a broad question ,but I'm looking to start sailing a little further away from home. So any info would help

·
Registered
103 Posts
As a general rule, the cruising guides will tell you that kind of thing. noonsite.com gives a decent overview in many cases.

In our experience through Central and South America, the paperwork will entail a copy of your USCG documentation, a crew list (with age, passport number, and "employment role"), rarely proof of insurance (if you're checking into a marina), even more rarely a list of serial numbers for dinghy, outboard, .... You will be visited by customs and immigration officers (or go to visit their offices) and give out multiple copies of the documents, and get stamped copies in return, which you may need to show upon exit from the country.

Fees change all the time, so your SSB will be your best source for that.

We have NEVER been asked (Central and South America) for proof of vaccinations, proof of no rats, ...

PS: When you check out of country A, save EVERY SCRAP OF PAPER, because you may be asked to show it upon entry to country B, just to prove that you left A legally.

But really, in the C&SA area, it's mostly easy, and at worst, an annoyance. I can't speak for Europe or Polynesia.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys,
I went through nonsite.com and found a ton a good information that filled the voids i was looking for and have started plotting my course.
angain thanks for the responses and links

1 - 5 of 5 Posts