SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just come into a 1981 Saroca and was wondering if there is a Saroca forum or community out there somewhere. I have some questions I wold like to ask.
Fink

·
19,489 Posts
Not much on the web on these.. looks like a multipurpose row/sail/putter more related to a canoe than anything? What size is yours? Seems they made 16, 17 and 19 footers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a 16'. I got it in the lake for my first time today. Had a couple people mention it's uniqueness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 1987 Saroca that is 16-1/2 Ft long. Have had a lot of fun with it, mostly when my boys were small. Used it a lot for canoeing and rowing, and a little for sailing. I used the sliding seat and sculling spoons a number of times, which was a great workout. I also get lots of "what is that?" comments when I get the boat in the water.

I am at a point where I need to find a new home for it and am cruising Sailnet looking for the right forum. The boat is in Chelmsford, Massachusetts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too bad we'really not a little closer. I am in Bella Vista, AR. My main need is a mast. I received this boat from an acquaintance who never tried putting it in the water. It was bought at auction. I have determined that the mast is not original equipment though the sail is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had been thinking about that very thing. Would you mind sending me some pics of the mast? I would especially like to see the bottom and how it fits into the shafts on the boat, along with what is used to raise and lower the sail. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The mast is 2-1/2" diameter, 16'8" black-anodized aluminum with a removable 8'6" boom. I have a Harken boom vang. My sail is a 4:1 main sheet from Shore Sails. Mast tube is a straight pipe. There is a sail guide along the stern of the mast, a pulley at the mast head. Two sail line stopper clamps, one forward and one stern. The mast tube fits loosely in the mast socket, and can rotate freely. The bottom of the mast tube rests on a ledge at the bottom of the mast socket.

At the moment, probably because I have not posted enough times, I cannot upload photos. Once I can, I have a set of photos, of varying quality, to give you some ideas on where the fixtures are installed. Personally, I think it is a very simple and rugged design.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here are some photos of my mast, in my garage rafters and on the boat. The rubber collar below the boom and boom vang fittings is free to move. Its purpose appears to be to prevent stuff from falling between the mast and the boat in the mast socket.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts