SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to test if a temperature sensor and the temperature switches in the thermostat housing are functioning correctly and realized that I need to purchase a new IR thermometer, as I can't find the one I've owned for many years.

I was looking at this Fluke 572 Infrared Thermometer. Any thoughts/recommendations/criticisms?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
Yikes. I paid $20 for mine. Fluke is top of the line stuff, but have to wonder if it's really that much more accurate or has some feature I just don't need. For my purposes, I don't need perfectly exact.

As for testing a thermostat, I'd do that by heating water in a pot, with the thermostat hanging inside (not touching the bottom) and measuring the water temp with a food probe type thermometer, watching for it to open.

Then again, if the thermostat is old enough, I just chuck them out and replace, if suspect at all.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
180 Posts
Unless you really need great accuracy, Harbor Freight sells one for about 5% of that one in the link.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want something a little nicer than a single point laser temperature or has a lot of sensors maybe one of the flir's that plugin to a phone like flir-one-pro-lt which runs for about $300 and can be found on amazon. The difference is these have a bunch of infrared sensors that make up the image and can be useful for troubleshooting a variety of other things to. If you don't want to spend that kind of money then one of the cheaper single point laser sensors from amazon would probably work fine. That Fluke is more of a scientific or engineering where accuracy is dramatically critical for a single use. Incidentally it probably isn't any better than the higher end flirs for even their uses as it is only checking one small spot.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have a couple of Fluke IR thermometers because I use them for work. The difference between an expensive thermometer and a cheap one is accuracy, particularly at longer distances. The cheap ones might be ok up close, but they will get less accurate very quickly. I can shoot my Fluke at a pipe 10ft away and get a reasonably accurate measurement, where a cheap one would not be accurate at all because it is measuring a much larger spot.

That said, if you are just using it to check engine block temps at point blank an cheaper one would probably be fine. I wouldn't get the $18 harbour freight model, I would spend a bit more than that!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts