SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a Bristol 24. The port side chain plate sat on rotted ply, changed the ply, and glassed twice over on both sides of bulkhead. Sea-cocks/valves will be inspected and checked next month. No other 'major' changes.

The rig seems good. I went over several online DIY checklists. However, I am concerned that there may be rust inside the swage fitting. I could ask for a marine survey, I believe they run about a $100 but there is nothing visual that he/she can pick up on. Local vendors are likely to recommend getting new wires and fittings. About $1200. Neither solution is conclusive. If I do nothing, what are indications to watch out for? Overall, what are my options?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
am leaning towards getting a new rig. who else comes to mind apart from riggingonly.com in terms of quality and cost?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked to a surveyor a little while ago. He said, over the phone and without seeing the boat, that the swage fittings would crack if there was rust on the inside due to the expansion from the rust. And, because there are no other signs of wear and tear, no cracks and rust, anywhere else, I am starting to think that I could put off this project and continue on with the million other things that are to be done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts