SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did a visual inspection aloft today and thanks to digital innovation, got numerous pictures.
Going through the pics, I found a crack at the masthead, on the headstay fitting that wasn't noticed aloft. Thank you Pentax.
It seems to be nothing of immediate concern, but I would appreciate feedback from you all out there.
Thanks

Attachments

Reactions: GMFL

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
Yup that will need welding up. Is the other side the same ??

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup that will need welding up. Is the other side the same ??
If you notice in the second pic, the other side is not attached in any way. The whole unit is installed in the mast, seemingly held in place by the sheave bolts. This weld does not seem to even be necessary, unless it's to hold the top on?

·
Registered
372 Posts
the 2nd pic shows a weld also ,but not making contact at the fwd edge. It would appear there is flexing, or it might be stress relief. It looks old, ie no fresh metal showing. I would show the pics to a welder and see what they think.
Also I just want to say I hate that picture of you sailing down in El Caribe!!! Cause it is cold up here and going to snow again! You should at the least put on a winter hat this time of year, to at least pretend!!!!!

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the 2nd pic shows a weld also ,but not making contact at the fwd edge. It would appear there is flexing, or it might be stress relief. It looks old, ie no fresh metal showing. I would show the pics to a welder and see what they think.
Also I just want to say I hate that picture of you sailing down in El Caribe!!! Cause it is cold up here and going to snow again! You should at the least put on a winter hat this time of year, to at least pretend!!!!!
Old, yeah, quite possibly before I bought the boat. If not for the pics, I would have missed it, a good lesson.
As for the sailing pic, it was meant to lift spirits, not do otherwise, so to be kind, I shall try to resist the urge to share, in the future.
Or, there's always the empty bunk in the forepeak......Got rum,? I've gotta boat.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts