SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this boat. It is going to be on the hard until summer. I would like to get a windvane self steering system. How does the stern look for holding one? would the engine get in the way? If I find one, are they hard to install?

Where is a good place to get one used? craigslist...ebay...

What brands would you recommend? My boat weighs 5500.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Call Scanmar ( 510 ) 215 2010 . They are the best . Check out their web site . I love wind vanes / self steering rigs there are many types, the one they call the Monitor is I think the most popular and I'm sure with good reason . I was talking with a guy the other day he had a Bristol Channel Cutter 28. On his boat he had the one they call the Anderson he said worked OK but it had problems, he didn't say what . I like the Anderson it is a trim tab type and uses the backstay for the sailrudder . I would love to have a self steering rig on my boat but then I would be about 37' LOA and then I would have to get a bigger slip!

·
Old soul
4,978 Posts
I just bought this boat. It is going to be on the hard until summer. I would like to get a windvane self steering system. How does the stern look for holding one? would the engine get in the way? If I find one, are they hard to install?

The short answer is your stern looks fine for a vane installation (I assume the engine flips down). But there are many types of vanes, and each one has different installation requirements. And it's not a small task ... but I'm sure you know that.

Monitor is a huge one. I have an Aries, which uses the same approach (servo-pendulum). Then there are the integrated vanes like the Cape Horn. I'm sure your transom would accept either, although I don't think you can purchase an integrated second-hand.

Monitors and Aries come up fairly regularly in the second-hand market. I've seen them posted here and on Cruisers Forum. Check out ebay as well as the classifieds.

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
Well what kind of boat is it? (might want to put it into your signature so it is obvious on all posts without having to put it in every time)

I don't know if I would get a used one. While they tend to be quite reliable, there are quite a few bearings, and moving parts that hang out in the salt water. You might have trouble finding parts for an older one if it is discontinued, or worse the company no longer exits. By the time you rebuild the thing after buying it, you may spend more on it than a new one would cost. No one is likely to get rid of a working one. They have somewhat fallen out of favor with most people getting electric systems of some sort, so even if they are still made I would get some spares while you can as with the diminishing market I imagine some companies are getting thin. They seem great for offshore, but are not the only option and would not be my first modification. On the other hand they seem to be overkill for coastal work.

Brands there several, most have there advantages. There was an brief description in the Nov/Dec 2013 Good Old Boat that describes the different styles. I think if I were looking for one, I would want one that can act as an emergency rudder.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

For your Bristol 26 I would suggest a lighter vane than the Monitor - it weighs about 75 lbs. It also costs about 6k new.

You don't say what your budget is but a Norvane is well built and is in the 2.000 range for your boat. NORVANE Self-Steering Wind Vane. Stainless steel, servo-pendulum. Powerful, sturdy and reliable for sailboats 20’ to 60’

Most vanes require a custom mount for some transom types. Allow for this in your budget.

As posted if you are not going offshore the vane will be of little use. A tillerpilot is a better choice for the Salish Sea/Georgia Straight areas. Offshore cruising I would want both.

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good advice, I have a tiller pilot. I havent used one before. I dont know. To me when I see a windvane it just represents a boat that can go anywhere. I singlehand pretty much exclusively. Ive always equated sailing with singlehanding, Ive just always wanted a windvane. I was hoping i could get one for $2000 used and installed.

·
Old soul
4,978 Posts
I wouldn't rush into a vane. It's a major installation, and a major cost. You certainly can use one for coastal cruising -- we do, even for short hops of a couple of hours. But they do come into their own when you are doing distance.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
People make their own . A friend of mine made his for a collage course . He said it worked OK but there was to much friction in the lines . He said he would need to use ball bearing blocks .

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Be aware if you're planning on buying a used Aries that somewhere in the mix, the production was taken over by a new manufacturer and the specs were changed from imperial dimensions to metric. Consequently the earlier parts do not fit the later models.

Nick Franklin's daughter Helen took over the distribution of imperial parts and provided the service for years, don't know if she still does. You may do some research on this if you're tempted.

Be aware thought, from their website:

The minimum size vessel is usually around 28 ft. L.O.A. because the gear weight of 35 kg is unacceptable on smaller boats unless they have broad stern sections.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would suggest a tiller pilot, they are light not very expensive used and do not draw a lot of power. Add a solar panel or 2 and maybe a wind gen. With the solar and wind power you will have power for other things aboard as well. The traditional Wind vanes pilots as others have said are heavy and hard to install and are a bit tricky to get set right. With a tiller pilot you drop it on the pin in the tiller push the button and go fix a sandwich.

·
Old soul
4,978 Posts
Nick Franklin's daughter Helen took over the distribution of imperial parts and provided the service for years, don't know if she still does. You may do some research on this if you're tempted.

Be aware thought, from their website:

The minimum size vessel is usually around 28 ft. L.O.A. because the gear weight of 35 kg is unacceptable on smaller boats unless they have broad stern sections.
I was able to order parts from Helen last year. It took a bit of time, but she was friendly and got me what I needed.

Agreed about the size question. My Aries is quite heavy. Not a problem on my 28,000# cutter, but I wouldn't want that weight hanging off the stern of a light and small boat.

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. This makes sense. So even if I were to sail to Hawaii or down to San Francisco, a tiller pilot is strong enought for a lighter boat like mine? I don't know what my problem is. I guess I just want to be able to know I could go anywhere.

I would be glad to just go the tiller pilot route if that would work. Save money and trouble.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Keep in mind that tiller pilots steer a course and vanes steer to the apparent wind. On a long trip especially with some bad weather a vane is probably a better choice.

Maybe buy the tiller pilot now and a used vane if you decide to go cruising. You will still use the tiller pilot when motoring.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Some tiller pilots can steer to wind angle if you have a wind instrument. My Raymarine X5 does this.

In my view the big advantage of a windvane is the ability to work when the batteries are dead and all electronics have failed. They are simpler systems and can be understood and repaired anywhere.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Some tiller pilots can steer to wind angle if you have a wind instrument. My Raymarine X5 does this.

In my view the big advantage of a windvane is the ability to work when the batteries are dead and all electronics have failed. They are simpler systems and can be understood and repaired anywhere.
Good point, it has been awhile since I had a TP.

Are TP's robust enough these days to handle most weather?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree. You should think about the type of sailing you intend to do before making the commitment. We have a Fleming Major Servo-pendulum (FLEMING | There and back for 40 years) on our 47ft offshore cruiser and it has performed powerfully in some fairly severe conditions and has not let us down in 20 years of use. Great for long trips but when we are coastal cruising we tend to use the autopilot as it is only a push of a button to set up.

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The kind of cruising I intend to do or am going to do :)

Right now I have a Raymarine 2000+. I don't know what the plus means. Maybe that I am special.

Don't these things fail all the time though or is that just what people say? I could see it failing. I've held a tiller in high winds. I'm not the strongest guy ever but that tiller can put out a lot of force. If I was usin the tiller pilot for days on end it seems like that would be rough. But they are made to pilot tillers so...

I think I've got the battery power for it though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts