SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Danforth Constellation compass that is mounted in a binnacle on a steering pedestal. Unfortunately the prior owner made a change since the compass is loose in the steering pedestal. The compass is attached to a stainless steel cannister that fits over the top of the steering pedestal. The problem is the stainless steel canister is not bolted/screwed to the base of the steering pedestal so the entire unit can be picked up and removed from the steering column, which is not necessarily and issue unless the boat broaches, then the compass (and stainless canister) fall off the steering pedestal.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
What is the normal mounting arrangement for attaching a compass to a steering pedestal that is mounted in a canister? If this is to vague let me know and I will get some photos.
<o:p> </o:p>

·
Registered
263 Posts
Our compass has been "just sitting" without any restraint other than the base and wire for the light for 31 years.

I have always thought this strange but know many others that are the same.

When I recently built a new helm I installed it the sane way.

I know in a roll over I could loose it...I of course do have a hand held.

I have been knocked over to about 80% and it didn’t fall out!

·
Registered
701 Posts
If the bottom of the canister touch something like pedestial base, you can use blutack to hold it somewhat in place.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you roll your boat, your compass loss is going to be the least of your worries!!!!!! Glue it down with 4200 and call it good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts