SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few questions for those in the know- I need to replace the forward hatch, and I think I've read somewhere that the proper orientation is with the hinges forward (so it opens facing aft). I suspect the previous owners flipped it around to facilitate launching/dousing the kite in buoy racing, which I'll still do, but the safety of having it oriented with hinges forward I think is more appealing in my case.

The other thing- these hatches (Ocean series 60) are not supported with anything to prop it open, so when it passes the vertical position, it will keep opening until laying on the deck in the fully open position, and it slams down straining the hinges (which have cracked and is why I'm having to replace it).

Does anyone know if there is a method to support it so that it won't strain those aluminum hinges and break again? The only thing I've thought of doing is placing some sort of padded block on the deck to serve as a support so it won't completely clam shell open.

Ray

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link, Ron- I called them and the guy who does the tig welding for these aluminum frames told me they do around 200 Lewmar hatches/month, so they are the obvious choice... but they would charge around $430 for getting this hatch turned around (it would essentially be new, but with an original frame with the cracks welded together). I can get a new one from Defender (including brand new base frame) for about $630, so I'll just do it that way and replace the whole enchilada.

I like the ventilation of it oriented the way it is now, too...

Ray

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, J- I might just glass in a strip of wood (well-sealed, so it won't rot) to use as a bumper of sorts.. I recall a slot in the catch for the handles below deck, that I remember (now I remember) using as a way to leave sheets/halyard attached to the kite for buoy racing, so I think I'll leave the hatch in the current orientation.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another issue just popped up- what to bed the new frame with-- polysulfide (Lifecaulk) or a silicone compound. This is the aluminum frame to fiberglass/gelcoat deck (not going to even touch the acrylic). Threads on this topic are all over the place, and I would never even consider the polyurethane products (3M 4200 or 5200). For some reason, Lewmar suggests using silicone, but I'm hesitant to use it and I have several varieties of Lifecaulk just waiting for some purpose... Does anyone have experience with this kind of project?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts