SailNet Community banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21,775 Posts
Rock, please. Defending a 25 year old impeller, by suggesting hose replacement intervals are just like main seals is making up a defense. Even if the main seal did fail and leak oil, you'd easily get back to the slip. The burst hose will cause some degree of damage and render the engine inoperative.

In my book, waiting for an impeller to fail prior to replacement makes zero sense, regardless of manufacture recommendations. First, you can overheat and cause damage. Second, the failure usually throws bits of the impeller into the heat exchanger. I would hope anyone could intuitively get their head around the difference between a wet impeller in constant use, which routinely puts the bent vanes in different positions, from a dry impeller sitting in the same position for ten years. That 10 year bent vane won't even initially extend to create a seal.

Sorry you're so sensitive over standard best practice. However, you did attack the best practice advice, rather than simply provide your own input. It's also well known that hoses can/will fail, without visual external warning, if you could even see every side of every hose anyway, including the inside.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Rock, please. Defending a 25 year old impeller, by suggesting hose replacement intervals are just like main seals is making up a defense. Even if the main seal did fail and leak oil, you'd easily get back to the slip. The burst hose will cause some degree of damage and render the engine inoperative.

In my book, waiting for an impeller to fail prior to replacement makes zero sense, regardless of manufacture recommendations. First, you can overheat and cause damage. Second, the failure usually throws bits of the impeller into the heat exchanger. I would hope anyone could intuitively get their head around the difference between a wet impeller in constant use, which routinely puts the bent vanes in different positions, from a dry impeller sitting in the same position for ten years. That 10 year bent vane won't even initially extend to create a seal.

Sorry you're so sensitive over standard best practice. However, you did attack the best practice advice, rather than simply provide your own input. It's also well known that hoses can/will fail, without visual external warning, if you could even see every side of every hose anyway, including the inside.
No, I am trying to avoid someone going down the road of changing equipment they don't have to.
As for the claim that a blown oil seal does not threaten a motor or the boat, man, from where did you get that?
I have seen the inside of a (closed) engine compartment absolutely sprayed with gearbox oil, and (separately), a coolant line (part metal) that holed the metal and sprayed seawater all over everything, and had done for hours filling the boat up close to the floorboards.
What were they to have done? Changed everything just in case?

·
Registered
21,775 Posts
Your on your own island. Enjoy it.

·
Master Mariner
8,373 Posts
Capta :

I am not bragging about anything and i wouldn't let you on my boat as i could not stand the constant critique (and expense) of trying to keep you happy. After all, nothing must be older than 10 years as it might fail, even the whole boat.

The impeller pumps and pumps strongly.
When it doesn't I will change it... there are two impeller spares on board, and a spare pump, and two starters, and a spare gearbox, and a spare alternator.

As for seaworthyness and the Arc and all that, well my boat took me across the North Atlantic, you know (?) through the usual gales and so on, and it still floats, and i changed the coolant impeller 25 years ago.
How far has yours sailed without stopping for spare parts? Six times round the world no-doubt?
Roger that!
However, here's an impeller that was pumping beautifully for years with no over heating. No idea how long it had been this bad, nor did I enjoy finding all the impeller bits down stream. As for my seagoing experience, well, one TransAt some 20 years back (apparently when your impeller was new) really doesn't really mean much today, does it?
So please keep on doing what you are doing if it pleases you, but a total lack of preventative maintenance is not the recommended procedure, as I recollect.

Attachments

·
Master Mariner
8,373 Posts
Roger that!
However, here's an impeller that was pumping beautifully for years with no over heating. No idea how long it had been this bad, nor did I enjoy finding all the impeller bits down stream. As for my seagoing experience, well, one TransAt some 20 years back (apparently when your impeller was new) really doesn't really mean much today, does it?
So please keep on doing what you are doing if it pleases you, but a total lack of preventative maintenance is not the recommended procedure, as I recollect.
I owe you an apology. It was wrong of me to belittle your TransAT, be it 20 years ago or 20 days. It is a remarkable achievement and something to be proud of.
Again, you have my apologies for my poor conduct.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Capta :

We disagreed, we will survive.
My own ship needs maintenance a-plenty and over the decades, has served me well.
Seriously now, if you ever are in Scotland, Loch Ness must be on the schedule, so look me up (here) and we will sail on that famous lake on my long-serving Polaris 36.
It is a marvelous place for a sailboat.
I don't booze, but I have some American beer in the American 'fridge.

Rockter

·
12,174 Posts
Capta :

We disagreed, we will survive.
My own ship needs maintenance a-plenty and over the decades, has served me well.
Seriously now, if you ever are in Scotland, Loch Ness must be on the schedule, so look me up (here) and we will sail on that famous lake on my long-serving Polaris 36.
It is a marvelous place for a sailboat.
I don't booze, but I have some American beer in the American 'fridge.

Rockter
My friend had a 36 Polaris. The a beautiful and juggernaughts.
Nice boar

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
chef :

Selling a Polaris 36 will have been the worst mistake ever made.
A Polaris is the prettiest thing that ever floated.
But then I would say that wouldn't I ?

Rockter

21 - 29 of 29 Posts