SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure this is an easy thing to do, but I want to be absolutely sure I'm on the right track with this. The new Harken radial winches (35.2's) have an asymmetrical bolt pattern (5 bolts in all), and I haven't been able to find the proper orientation for mounting them on the deck surface. It's not really described anywhere in the installation manual (although I'm pretty sure it's common sense to orient them so that the side with the fewest bolts is facing forward so that the deck can support the highest loads in the usual direction). Does that make sense? The older winches were more symmetrical, and there were no dead spots for attachment.. Here's a photo, just in case I'm not describing it very well--

Attachments

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is an easy thing to do, but I want to be absolutely sure I'm on the right track with this. The new Harken radial winches (35.2's) have an asymmetrical bolt pattern (5 bolts in all), and I haven't been able to find the proper orientation for mounting them on the deck surface. It's not really described anywhere in the installation manual (although I'm pretty sure it's common sense to orient them so that the side with the fewest bolts is facing forward so that the deck can support the highest loads in the usual direction). Does that make sense? The older winches were more symmetrical, and there were no dead spots for attachment.. Here's a photo, just in case I'm not describing it very well--
Orient it so the "dead space" faces the incoming line - that part of the winch will be loaded in shear and compression - it will not have much if any tension loading on it.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
it's in the manual and it says "warning" and shows a pic and the arrow on the side of the winch aligns with were the sheet enters the drum

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw that, but what threw me for a little while was the discussion about the drive gear and "severe injury or death"... I got a little distracted! They're installed and in proper position.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts