SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
After months and months and months of research, searching, looking, poking and prodding...I have finally found the boat I'm going to purchase. It's a 1978 Newport MKII. There's good points and bad points to the boat, but all in all, it's in good shape. (Volvo MD7A low compression issues, which I'll be posting about soon). In the meantime, I've got to buy and install an outboard. Bear with me, I am a total newbie here and I just have some general questions. I know I can pop down to West Marine and probably have them answered, but you guys are all here and fairly friendly. ;)
With an outboard bracket...is there any type of mount I can use temporarily without drilling into the transom?
If no and I have to drill holes, can this be done at the dock with a drill and the proper caulk, parts, etc?
The inboard MD7A runs, but rough and I must get the boat from San Francisco up to Suisun. I have a friend who will let me borrow his outboard, but I'll need to purchase a bracket. Or the other option is to find an outboard on craigslist, which I've seen several already....Any input would be great!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I think this is an acceptable idea for the protected waters inside the bay and there should be no problem with the installation of the bracket while the boat is in the water. Just be careful with your stability and the electrical cords an connections over the water. I like to tie the cord in a way that it can not reach the water.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Is there not a mechanic near where the boat is now that could at least look at the inboard and try to get it running smoother before you go drilling holes in your new boat?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
if the inboard runs and will power the boat to get it docked then sail it there

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yup! a thourogh cleaning of the fuel system, a couple of flushes wuth marvel mystery oil and seafoam in the fuel for a full tank will do wonders in the meantime...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
san fran to suisun is a nice sail any day...not too much wind now...just time it on the flood and youll be golden

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
I would go with the sea foam and oil treatment as well before putting holes in the boat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seamfoam huh? I've never heard of the stuff. Just looked it up online. Glad to see ya'll aren't yanking my chain! ;)
Like I said, it's a Volvo MD7A two cylinder diesel...I should add some seafoam to the diesel and the oil? How much? (I know very little about engines...but I'm learning!)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Are you sure it is running rough? have you compared it to another two cylinder diesel? the two cylinder diesels are not all that smooth even when new. you can not compare it to an auto engine. put in all new fuel make sure all fuel lines are tight, they can leak air in even if they don't leak fuel out. clean fuel filter. could be the PO added so many additives that you are not running on diesel fuel. Seafoam can help if you have water in fuel. clean fuel with or without seafoam there is no difference. seafoam is a bandaid as is the mystery oil. put the name mystery in the name and they will buy it, chrome it and they will buy it, we all know that chrome makes it go faster. add a chrome air filter and it will run much better.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yup seafoam is good in a full tank of fuel...it also helps it from going stale...its also good in keeping fuel clean...having said that dont think of it as snake oil

I used it on outboards, my atomic 4 and in my motorcycle when I had it...its just good stuff thats not an excuse to not clean your fuel filters, tank, strainers and injectors etc...

marvely mystery oil is mostly used in oil, however some guys use a dash or too in the fuel as it does lubricate(when not overused) certain parts of the valvetrain, rings etc...

if you have rattling sounds from the big end(crank) then you can use certain stuff like STP zddp additive that is basically an oil thickener that will help against shearing and it will close up too lose tolerances on OLD high hour engines...again its a bandaid until you decide to either rebuild the deisel sell it running as is or get an outboard or whatever...

(some have even had luck in UNSEIZING stuck intake valves and the like when boats are left on the hard for a long time...)

in any case gettig a mechanic to just give the engine a once over or check before you set off on this little trip will help you have peace of mind

if he says something like this engine is trash dont ever use it...dont listen...find someone else that is more understanding...

x2 on advice above....hence my disclaimer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts