SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
Since you have the locking bolts and indentations in the shaft, I don't see why you need such a tight shaft/flange fit. I would advise that the two go together fairly easily (obviously not loosely) and that you use NeverSeeze on everything, so you don't have this problem again. Be sure to have the machinist drill small holes in the locking bolts for the seizing wire.

· Master Mariner
9,540 Posts
Reaction score
Capta, the bolts that came with the new flange have the holes in them, but thanks for the reminder! Where can I get Never Seize? I've heard of it and a few other compounds, but haven't tried looking for them yet. Would it also work on the outside of the packing gland to help keep the copper from corroding?
NeverSeeze can be had at any auto parts store. There are at least two kinds, a grey one for iron and steel and a copper one for stainless steel and aluminum. Both are useful on a boat.
There is no value in using either on bronze; the green color really doesn't affect the integrity of the metal; just wire brush it every so often. The NeverSeeze goes on the threads and again, has no value as coating of a steel surface. If you'd like to lessen corrosion, paint the flange and bolts with zinc chromate after assembly, but really, just wire brushing it and spraying with PB Blaster should keep it in good shape. The big deal here is not to let salt water get on the drive train inside the boat and rinse with fresh if it does.
Don't forget that aligning the engine to the shaft flange is your last step. It really is an important step, though it is a huge PITA. Free up all the engine mounts (again NeverSeeze) and make sure you have whatever tools you'll need before you begin. If you've had any noise from the drive train, under way, you'll be surprised the difference the alignment makes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.