SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear whomever might read this,

I am brutally new to the sailing community, and I am going to live aboard my boat during the winter along the pacific coast between Vancouver Island and British Columbia.

To say the least, my companion way door needs a complete rehaul regardless of weather conditions. However, given my limited knowledge on the subject, and lack of local resources, I'm thinking about just buying gaskets and rubbers of sorts to temporarily fill in the cracks to keep me warm for the upcoming winter.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any suggestions for types of sealants and gaskets that wouldn't rip off the pain and vinyl after the winter months?
Feel free to write about your own personal experience, or thoughts and comments on the matter, anything will be helpful.

Here are some pictures below:

Cheers,

·
Registered
24,820 Posts
Perhaps you'll be building a clear plastic winter cover over the entire deck? If so, it will not be too drafty. If not, maybe a heavy blanket or quilt over the outside?

If I were living aboard, over the winter in a cold climate, I'd cover up like this and put a door on it.

Reactions: Sharutika

·
Administrator
8,170 Posts
I have a temporary solution while you work a permanent idea.

I was in Northern Europe for a couple of winters, living aboard and wanted to be warm but not wanting to change much as Id be returning to the tropics.

I had an old, very old, large, cheap blanket lying in the bottom of the lazarette somewhere.

Laid over the companionway and hanging down a bit it, it was remarkable how this little bit of insulation helped. Maybe you can find something like that, or buy a cheapy?

Mark

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,433 Posts
My first winter as a liveaboard I bought some foam insulation board from a home depot type store and cut it to fit in one piece and it worked fine. Was not secure but the marina was gated with several other liveaboards so I wasn't worried about theft. The Chesapeake froze over from the bay bridge north that year. Inused the same stuff to insulate all my lockers and cabinets that were along the hull.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks for the replies! I didn't expect to get such a good variety of original suggestions. I think I am going to try Mark and Minnewaska's idea of using a big blanket to cover it on top. From the looks of it, it should be very simple and will give me all the time I need to design a new door.

Thanks again everyone and safe sailing <3

Gabe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts