SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any liveaboards on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario tell me what insurance company they're using?

I'm hoping to liveaboard, haven't bought the boat yet but thought I'd clear up the insurance question first, and so far three companies have said their coverage requires the boat to be laid up for the winter.

I was hoping to live on the boat in winter. And no, I don't have car or house insurance.

Thanks!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hauling the boat in the winter sounds normal as an insurance requirement. I use the Skipper's Plan and it has them same requirement from Nov 1 to April 30.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
You might try getting in touch with the author of this blog: We Live On A Boat
They live aboard year-round in Canada. Good luck. We've lived aboard for 7 years in warm(?) well, relatively warm, anyway, Annapolis, MD. Winter, for all its challenges, also has its own interesting hunker-down vibe in the liveaboard community.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hauling the boat in the winter sounds normal as an insurance requirement.
The problem is the marinas around here forbid living on the boat while it's on the hard. They cite the insurance companies as the reason for this rule, as they claim it's a fire hazard.

Eryka: That's a good suggestion and I'm going to follow up on that. Thank you!

·
Registered
407 Posts
The problem is the marinas around here forbid living on the boat while it's on the hard. They cite the insurance companies as the reason for this rule, as they claim it's a fire hazard.
I'm at Toronto Island Marina and I know for a fact that there is a couple of live-a-boards here all year round. I know that Lakeshore Yacht Club also has a few all year people. The rule (law?) is that there has to be 2 boats as a safety measure for each other. Try calling Lakeshore. They may know.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Scarborough Bluffs Marina has a (relatively) large number of live-aboards and they also have float-homes there. I am pretty sure that Port Credit Marina still has liveaboards. There are a few yacht clubs that have year-around boaters. It's not likely that they are uninsured.

You might try asking around the Dogfish Pub at Scarborough Bluffs - one of the permanent residents will probably be happy to help you out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm at Toronto Island Marina and I know for a fact that there is a couple of live-a-boards here all year round. I know that Lakeshore Yacht Club also has a few all year people. The rule (law?) is that there has to be 2 boats as a safety measure for each other. Try calling Lakeshore. They may know.
There are liveaboards at TIM year round? And they can live on their boats out of the water? Hrm. Seems I've been misinformed.

Lakeshore is a bit far for me. I was hoping to live at TIM in summer and Harbourfront Centre's Quay West in winter.

·
Registered
407 Posts
There are liveaboards at TIM year round? And they can live on their boats out of the water? Hrm. Seems I've been misinformed.

Lakeshore is a bit far for me. I was hoping to live at TIM in summer and Harbourfront Centre's Quay West in winter.
When I was headed downtown this winter, there was a 40' at the quay just east of the silos at the foot of Bathurst St. The ice had crushed it and it was resting with water right at the coachroof. I wonder if their bubbler died.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was headed downtown this winter, there was a 40' at the quay just east of the silos at the foot of Bathurst St. The ice had crushed it and it was resting with water right at the coachroof. I wonder if their bubbler died.
I saw that boat too and wondered what had happened to it, only it was completely sunk.

Bubblers are meant for shallow water, places like Port Credit Marina or Frenchman's Bay. Ice Eaters are the preferred choice where waters are deeper than, I think, 15 feet.

However, Bubblers and Ice Eaters are only useful if you're in a protected harbour like Quay West, Port Credit, Frenchman's Bay.

·
Registered
34 Posts
McMichael Davis in Oakville can help you. Sorry for the late reply but I just saw this thread. It's a 500 buck extra cost but we lived aboard for 5 years including winter in Mimico.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
McMichael Davis in Oakville can help you. Sorry for the late reply but I just saw this thread. It's a 500 buck extra cost but we lived aboard for 5 years including winter in Mimico.
Thanks for the late reply. After some searching I managed to get insurance with MD Marine. So far they seem alright, I have no complaints and their rates are reasonable. I pay about $500 for year round liveaboard in-water insurance on a 30 foot sailboat.

·
Dirt Free
2,659 Posts
Its a little late on this thread but for anyone else looking, I've lived on board at Port Credit Yacht Club in Mississauga for 12yrs and use Marine Expert
1-866-671-3030
ELCO Insurance Group

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am a liveaboard in the winter in Ontario, my insurance is just double my summer rate, and they dont want me off the boat for more than 2 weeks (so 2 weeks south is ok a month is not). They dont allow any open flame heating solutions'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts