SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice from people with boats over 30 years old-- need to find Insurance that is AFFORDABLE... The boat is a 44' Ketch in the Galveston Bay area... Having a tuff time finding anything with an under a $300 a month insurance payment... Am I looking for a Unicorn?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Moved from CA to LA gulf coast and insurance went from $100 per month to $300! Found State Farm insurance deal and lowered back to $150 per month.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
we use boat us. not sure if it helps, but the quote is free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our boat is a 79 32 Islander, which is 34 yrs old. we have insurance with Progressive Insurance and ours boat insurance was 1084.00 last year.
Than you add Boat U.S.181.00 yr. and cost total for our boat 1265.00. We live in Florida, city of Bradenton. so we think that pretty reasonable for good old boat.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
As mentioned- Call Progressive Insurance . I insure my 36 year old boat with them here in Hawaii.
Progressive Auto Insurance - Car Insurance Quotes Plus Boat, RV and Motorcycle Insurance Quotes

I have my home and cars with State Farm but they would not insure my boat, probably due to age and the fact they do not seem to like boats over say 20 feet long.

I also tried to insure with BoatUS and they would not insure boats in Hawaii due to hurricanes, Tsunamis, and the high risk of running into a coral reef- risk of loss too great for them (I do have their tow plan however).

Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
BoatUS went from $990 per year to $3,700 per year for our move from CA to LA. They said it's because of Hurricane season . . .

Our sailboat is a 1982 28' Southern Cross

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
USAA home insurance includes a boat 34' and under. (This was a few years ago when I was asking.) Thought the forum would like to know.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Rats,
I just tried to run a quote using the Progressive Web site- put in all the numbers (used Gulfstar 44 for the boat, 1978) and used Galvaston TX as the zip.

Progressive came back "we do not insure boats over 35 feet".

Mine is 34 foot, so I'll just squeak by, until they change their requirements.........

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Our boat is a 79 32 Islander, which is 34 yrs old. we have insurance with Progressive Insurance and ours boat insurance was 1084.00 last year.
Than you add Boat U.S.181.00 yr. and cost total for our boat 1265.00. We live in Florida, city of Bradenton. so we think that pretty reasonable for good old boat.

Does that premium cover liability only or is it full coverage on the boat?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Rats,
I just tried to run a quote using the Progressive Web site- put in all the numbers (used Gulfstar 44 for the boat, 1978) and used Galvaston TX as the zip.

Progressive came back "we do not insure boats over 35 feet".

Mine is 34 foot, so I'll just squeak by, until they change their requirements.........
When I run the numbers with progressive for a 34 foot Gulfstar Ketch worth $100k located in Galvaston TX, the Full Coverage Progressive ($300k liability) quote comes back at $190 per year.

Looks like you need to buy a smaller boat.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Wow, i have been going back and forth between companies due to crappy coverage. This is what i have found out.
Had Progressive - this is who USAA uses for boats. Mine is 40' by the way. $949 yr Had Progressive in Florida; on a 40' boat. (i didn't pay the bill, someone else paid)

Then i switched to a insurance broker for sailboats (in florida). Dropped my insurance by 1/2 ($483); went to Foremost. Foremost sucks! Read the fine print and my rudder wasn't covered! How much would that be on a 40' boat to replace!

State farm, expensive $1200. I have used State Farm for 20 years. They lost my business on everything i own.
Switching to BoatUS or Liberty in the spring; both are around $950.
I'm on Lake Ontario right now so it's a lot cheaper. BUT, the fine print real matters when it comes to boat policies as i have discovered. I was informed that boat policies are not like car policies.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I run the numbers with progressive for a 34 foot Gulfstar Ketch worth $100k located in Galvaston TX, the Full Coverage Progressive ($300k liability) quote comes back at $190 per year.

Looks like you need to buy a smaller boat.
Wow, I just had my 42 footer with USAA/Progressive. The only reason I changed was when I moved aboard.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Wow, I just had my 42 footer with USAA/Progressive. The only reason I changed was when I moved aboard.
I am not sure how insurance works. Maybe you would be grandfathered in if say Progressive has your 40 foot boat covered, then they change their requirements and no longer insure boats over 35 feet.

When I first bought my boat, I tried to insure with BoatUS, however with the boat being 34 years old, they wanted an extensive survey with any diffeciency corrected. At that time I went with Progessive.

A year ago I tried to get a quote from BoatUS, they told me they do not insure boats in Hawaii- too risky for them I suppose.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Wow, i have been going back and forth between companies due to crappy coverage. This is what i have found out.
Had Progressive - this is who USAA uses for boats. Mine is 40' by the way. $949 yr Had Progressive in Florida; on a 40' boat. (i didn't pay the bill, someone else paid)

Then i switched to a insurance broker for sailboats (in florida). Dropped my insurance by 1/2 ($483); went to Foremost. Foremost sucks! Read the fine print and my rudder wasn't covered! How much would that be on a 40' boat to replace!

State farm, expensive $1200. I have used State Farm for 20 years. They lost my business on everything i own.
Switching to BoatUS or Liberty in the spring; both are around $950.
I'm on Lake Ontario right now so it's a lot cheaper. BUT, the fine print real matters when it comes to boat policies as i have discovered. I was informed that boat policies are not like car policies.
Agree with you on the fine print. I read the Progressive fine print and still do not really understand what they will cover in say a salvage situation versus a tow. Even normal damage, I am really not sure. I did call the agent after the Japan Tsunami a couple years back and was told Progressive paid for many boats that were declared total loss while tied to the dock. They seemed pretty responsive so at least at this time they seem like a good company.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
I'm surprised no one has said Panteras or whatever it's called.. You tried getting quotes for a boat because I'm in the market and progressive said during they don't insure boats over 35. Boat us was twice the price of Panteras but did have some neat services . they didn't allow liveaboards though. There was another company that I contacted but they wouldn't give me a ballpark figure without a survey that was less than 3 years. The boat I was looking at was 5 but they didn't budge which is ridiculous because I didn't own it yet. Liberty mutual I think didn't do boats that big or they don't allow liveaboards.

-sent from sea via corked bottle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts