SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In recent days the weather here in Europe has been less than optimal and I've spent a few cold and rainy evenings inside in front of my computer -- painfully learning about php, JavaScript, Google map APIs and CSS.

The result of this effort is a Google maps interactive map with my geo-coded pictures from sailing Zanshin I around the Caribbean with most of the pictures being in the BVI. While there are over 800 photos in the map, I've used a Google widget to cluster pictures together so that the map doesn't get too cluttered and it works quite well.

I'd like to get some feedback on the page (not the pictures, I can't change those) as this weekend looks like it is going to be rained out again. At least when I'm playing around on the web site I won't be spending money on ebay or helping put my local bartender's kids through school...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think its awesome!!! I love being able to get a picture of what an area looks like. Thanks for sharing. Im really looking forward to making the trip April 2012.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I'm working on Version 1.1 with some suggestions I got elsewhere and I can't wait to get back on the boat in order to rack up some more adventures and take pictures to add to the site!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've got Version 1.1 up on the site now - a couple of minor fixes and I've added a compass where the needle points in the direction that the photo in the thumbnail was shot in; while that doesn't sound like much, it took several hours to get working correctly despite all the photos having the information embedded in them

Interactive Map now with compass

and a moving

1 - 5 of 5 Posts