SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Sailing Friends,
I was looking to buy a bluetooth enabled personal intercom device to communicate with my kids while we are sailing. Has anyone used these? What brand? Were they effective? The ones I came across are for communication between bikers, which should work for sailing as well, I think, but wanted to get some feedback from the Sailing community about any recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
4,744 Posts
We use just a regular household baby monitor run by a 250 watt inverter. It is only about 4 watts, so it lasts a long time even on our very small electrical system. Ours has an infrared camera with display on the parent monitor, so we can keep an eye while they are sleeping. The wireless parent unit has really good range. Ours only has listening capability (that I know of) but I know there are models out there with two way intercom.

·
Administrator
7,613 Posts
I have a wireless doorbell.
Whoever is asleep takes the box and the button is at the helm.
One rule when I am asleep: do not press the button!

Reactions: capta

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Mike, why restrict yourself to bluetooth? The "cell phone market" and "home audio market" all use the weakest level of BT radios, with a maximum 10-meter range. There are other devices with up to a 100 meter range, but you can generally get headphones or radios with that much range for much less, if they're not BT.

·
dadio917
334 Posts
we use the little Motorola walkie-talkies for stuff like anchoring. useful for other stuff as well. might work for you.

·
Master Mariner
9,060 Posts
Dear Sailing Friends,
I was looking to buy a bluetooth enabled personal intercom device to communicate with my kids while we are sailing.
I'm confused, what are you communicating?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts