SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at the Maine Boatbuilders show this weekend and there was a company(Quickline) with a new anchor design that was pretty interesting. It looks very similar to all the new generation type anchors like the Mantus, Manson and Rocna. What makes their anchor different is that they load the fluke with lead and the shank is hollow. This gives the shank positive buoyancy and eliminates the need for a roll-bar. The shank also has a fairly high rise to assist in rolling the anchor over to its proper orientation.

Not endorsing them in any way as I have no direct experience. Just wanted to present the info for discussion.

Ultra Anchors | Stainless Steel Anchors | Quickline USA

Let's try to stay away from the fact that they are SS and very expensive and focus on the design concept.

Apologize for claiming they are new. I should have said new to me.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Well, they're hardly new, the Ultras have been around for quite some time, now... Personally, I see very little difference between them, and the aluminum Spade, in their essential design...

"Buoyancy of the shank" ??? Hmmm, not so sure about that one... :)

Last one to try adding 'floatation' to an anchor was Hydro Bubble, that didn't work out so well... :)

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
I've seen them before. I wonder about the strength of the shank. I will only mention that SS as a further strength limiter, as opposed to the bling. Not sure why they chose it.

Also, sea beds are not always flat, so being able to flip over by weight won't always work. The roll bar would prevent the anchor from entering upside down between narrow rocks (sort of). No perfect anchor.

I think these are targeted to the weekend relatively fair weather boat, rather than the cruiser. JMO.

Reactions: kentobin

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
>$3000 for my boat, OUCH!. I can see the value of the weighted part, the hollow shank does not make much sense to me though. It still needs to be strong enough to work so a substantial amount of steel there with a limited flotation amount. It is pretty though.

You can get a version of a Manson Supreme without a roll bar and Rocna have a new anchor at West Marine without the roll bar.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
I also worry about the lack of a roll bar and too much effort expended on polishing the s.s. For those wanting something really shiny to hang on the bow to impress people, this looks like a perfect anchor.

Reactions: kentobin

·
Super Moderator
6,803 Posts
I was at the Maine Boatbuilders show this weekend and there was a company(Quickline) with a new anchor design that was pretty interesting. It looks very similar to all the new generation type anchors like the Mantus, Manson and Rocna. What makes their anchor different is that they load the fluke with lead and the shank is hollow. This gives the shank positive buoyancy and eliminates the need for a roll-bar. The shank also has a fairly high rise to assist in rolling the anchor over to its proper orientation.

Not endorsing them in any way as I have no direct experience. Just wanted to present the info for discussion.

Ultra Anchors | Stainless Steel Anchors | Quickline USA

Let's try to stay away from the fact that they are SS and very expensive and focus on the design concept.

Apologize for claiming they are new. I should have said new to me.
IMHO it is probably one of the better performing of the new gen anchors. Do be aware that their "mini-anchors" that you drag through sand at the shows are not all correctly made to scale, angles geometry etc. thus can give a false impression of another brands performance. For instance where the fluke meets the shank on the Rocna copy is incorrect etc. etc..

Still an excellent anchor I just can't justify the price vs. performance differences between it and other new gens. I was told about three years ago that it will only ever be in SS because of the hollow shank blowing up during galvanizing.

It should be noted that they have made two or three changes to the shanks since its inception and it does offer a lifetime warranty.. They are not the first anchor with a weighted tip. The Delta, CQR, Spade all have lead in the three dimensional tips. The Manson Supreme and Rocna all have added weight in the tips too just more in a one dimensional way......

Personally I would really love to try a Sarca Excel but they are very expensive to get in this country...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I've seen them before. I wonder about the strength of the shank. I will only mention that SS as a further strength limiter, as opposed to the bling. Not sure why they chose it.
Because their primary market is powerboats, perhaps?

Their photo gallery shows 54 examples of installations on stinkpots, and 16 on sailboats...

Ultra Anchors

And this is the photo that tops their Home Page :)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm having a lot of trouble swallowing the notion that the shank has positive buoyancy. The simple fact that it is hollow doesn't even come close to assuring that.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I also worry about the lack of a roll bar and too much effort expended on polishing the s.s. For those wanting something really shiny to hang on the bow to impress people, this looks like a perfect anchor.
Not sure why the lack of a roll bar would be a concern, with its heavily weighted base and tip... The Ultra is very much a copy of the Spade, which has always worked fine without a roll bar...

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
I'm having a lot of trouble swallowing the notion that the shank has positive buoyancy. The simple fact that it is hollow doesn't even come close to assuring that.
I agree that I don't see how it could have significant positive buoyancy and not be four or five times the diameter it is even if it had paper thin walls.

And I am not saying it wont it will not set, just that the positive buoyancy aspect is at best a marketing ploy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts