SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have posted about this boat before, but it got buried in the depths of Sailnet, so I decided to post it again, hoping more people see it again.

It is a rather interesting design and a really fun boat to sail, because you really need to know hoew to sail before you learn to sail this.

Because of this boat, I entertained and maintained very interesting long conversations with the late Robert Gainer here at Sailnet. That brought good memories. What a guy he was.

Anyway...

So here is is, enjoy, El Patin de Cataluña

It has no rudders, no jib, no fins not boards nothing...

tack, sail and steer only with mast rake, main sheet and body weight...get in around in one of these, go, and come back...then you can trully say you know how to sail a cat..

this is a very interesting boat, its called a Patin de Cataluña, from Spain. Its a narrow beam catamaran with no rudder, and a mast with rake adjusted by a direct line.

PATIN

You steer with mast rake, as you have a line that pulls the mast forward and backwards, the main sheet, your weight in the pontoons, and a trick...you dip your foot in the water to help turn.

And here

Let me tell you...you're not a sailor until you can do a racing triangle with one...I fell 3 times in 3 days sailing it...but because you keep the sheet in your hand you pull yourself back fast...I don't care who you are or what you sail, get one of these and we'll talk....what a blast, and it makes you a better sailor...guaranteed.

And for the wood lovers..they are 100% wood, no FG on these puppies..

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
That does look like it would be fun. Probably frustrating at first, but fun once you do get the hang of it! I still want a DMC1050 tho! That would be more fun most of the time! if I was going to get a boat from that general area.

marty

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
A PATIN is basically a multi-hull version of a wind surfer... ;)

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
That would be a 10.5M version of your boat! vs your 12M version.

Marty

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would be a 10.5M version of your boat! vs your 12M version.

Marty

Ahhhhh it's a DC, not a DMC..OK..

Hey he has a 35 footer (9 meter) all out racer/cruiser in the oven...cheap...different design, but still...a damn fast boat..it's designed compete in the up to 10meter class, a faster version of a Mumm 30.

Nice boat for you...cheap..cheap....and so far only the hull is made...you can go anywhere from here.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
SD beat me to it. The concept is quite similar to a windsurfer except no daggerboard or skeg; you get 2 hulls instead. A windsurfer also usually has no wood parts.
Rake the mast aft and the rig will head up, rake it forward in it wall fall off. Stick your foot in the water to help it pivot.
I learned to sail dinghies first and then how to windsurf. I would like to try it sometime. I believe I could do it but not before getting wet!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Bubb-

Hobies still have rudders. :) and their masts don't tilt or move back and forth. :)
Naah! it's a cat rigged hobie!!!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I can see that being the case for ya...but I'm not quite there yet. :)
I didn't notice the lack of rudders. It is a sailboard for us geriatrics sort of guys. LOL

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's funny to see you commenting on Pati Catala.

I grew up sorrounded by them. Unfortunatelly I never got into it. They are the sailing school for lots of Catalan sailors I know and you can tell the difference: the guys really master any boat and can fell her.

It's very different than windsurfing. In windsurfing you steer by moving the sale forward of backwards, whereas in the pati catala you move yourself around the platform forward (to point or tag) or backwards (to jibe) or to the sides. This is why pati sailors acquire a high sensitivity to the boat balance.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HArvester..yes absolutely right..as you can see I have ignored the comments about it being almost a windsurfer....no need to...and I saw them more than once..

Thank you for your comment...my idea was good and noble, until the whole thing decayed..

They are a lot of fun, challenging and critical, but fun...

I am thinking about aquiring one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
HArvester..yes absolutely right..as you can see I have ignored the comments about it being almost a windsurfer....no need to...and I saw them more than once..

Thank you for your comment...my idea was good and noble, until the whole thing decayed..

They are a lot of fun, challenging and critical, but fun...

I am thinking about aquiring one.
Here's a video with several jibes and tags from an onboard camera.

If you think about getting one if you need any info from Barcelona (since, logically, here in Catalunya is where there are more Patins, more experts, schools, etc.) let me know. It would be fun to get involved, since the Pati Catala has always been a pending issue for me. (And, PLEASE, it is not Spanish, it's Catalan, YOU DAMN IT!!!:D ).

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Ok Alex,

Thank you for the correction, ie DC not DMC......

I can not find any info for that 35'r on the DC website. Can you get info and PM or email to me? 35' is about the right size, as long as it is not a melges/mumm type sled only. Would need some kind of interior for the wonderful women in my life! Otherwise, I'm in BIG dodo! I do want to upgrade from my Jeanneau Arcadia at somepoint in time.

Marty

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok Alex,

Thank you for the correction, ie DC not DMC......

I can not find any info for that 35'r on the DC website. Can you get info and PM or email to me? 35' is about the right size, as long as it is not a melges/mumm type sled only. Would need some kind of interior for the wonderful women in my life! Otherwise, I'm in BIG dodo! I do want to upgrade from my Jeanneau Arcadia at somepoint in time.

Marty
Well..coming from that yard it is off course a racer, has to be...and it is a sled like the old Mumm or a soupped up Melges..It's like an IMS racer...HOWEVER, and since the man needs to eat, (and feed his children, both Champs in 49er and TP52 crew), the inside is up to the customer..a little like with me..we went for a racer with a cruiser inside..

And that boat can be outfitted like that too..

I am noit sure, but a thing like that, with a Custom interior, may be somthing that may cost around 200.000 Euros, complete. (give or take a few ten K)

It is Divinycell core, like mine, and very light..it's basically an IMS hull, with a big thin keel and torpedo..it has a very sexy hull, and you can pretty much do anything you want with it...

Now that boat..is a show stopper, I guarantee that..it's like a mini Swan 65..

no photos yet, as the hull is still upside down, and only covered with Divynicell (it's a positive plug construction, no mould)

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Could be interesting none the less. Maybe get it cert'd over there, shipped here ie NW USA, and have the interior done locally.........hmmmmm.........

Or say screw that, and for 200-225 US I can get an X-34/35 or a Dehler 34........hmmmmmm.........probably the DC would be faster..........

Anyway, need to keep dreaming.

Marty

1 - 20 of 26 Posts