SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was in the Newsfeeds and I think many people have this blocked. It is worth eight minutes of your time.

The Pros and Cons of Living on a Sailboat in the Caribbean
The Atlantic
David Welsford doesn't pay rent or have a full time job. Instead, he lives on a 50-year-old wooden boat. A few years ago, he gave up the luxuries of land for life alone in the sea. "For me, what's more important than having a big house is having a ...

http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/374880/living-alone-on-a-sailboat/

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Link is fixed (I hope, works for me)

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Great vid and I noticed no refrigeration on the boat makes me want to get underway today

·
Registered
288 Posts
Makes me tingle just watching it. I'm older (and divorced), so it would be easier to not worry about an s/o when my kids are gone...just do it.

·
Deep Blue Crush
Elan Impression 394
176 Posts
Very much enjoyed the video, thank you for sharing it. Just what I want to do as well so its inspirational.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Great video, I enjoyed it very much. It was like a much more elegant (and successful) version of my wooden boat voyages without refrigeration and on a shoestring. Pointing the camera into the sun for effect started to make me wish I was wearing sunglasses, but generally the artistic style of the photography was good.

The OTHER (caution, thread drift approaching!) reason why I like the video so much, is that he is wearing a foam PFD with a built in harness!! I've been looking all over for these, and so far, the only I found (another sailnet member found it for me) was this one by Baltic which looks just fine, but is only avalible in Europe for a steep price and high shipping.

The lifejacket he is wearing in the video, which has a harness, handwarmer pockets, cargo pockets, and a stretchy radio/water-bottle pocket looks really well designed. I may just have to order one. It's the Salus Costal vest.

MedSailor

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if you went overboard with that vest if you might just go down and out of the vest while the vest stayed on the surface. With the big arm holes there is not much to keep it on the body.

·
Deep Blue Crush
Elan Impression 394
176 Posts
No house, no white picket fence, no love of his life and lastly no children. That's a hell of a trade off when you're his age.

However, for us older guys this looks pretty good to me!!
Yes and no TropicCat.
Sometimes one works on and waits and hopes for the house, the white picked fence, the love, the children, but nothing happens and life just flies by. There are never assurances.
At least he is wise and knows what he wants and goes for it regardless what is expected of him by the society.

·
Administrator
7,561 Posts
Great video! It shows what goid camera work and professional editing can do. Makes it a pleasure to watch.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
I wonder if you went overboard with that vest if you might just go down and out of the vest while the vest stayed on the surface. With the big arm holes there is not much to keep it on the body.
I think the leg straps would be essential. I wonder what they mean by optional. Optional to wear them or an option that may or may not be on the vest.

On the other hand the "arn holes" of any inflatable/harness combo arw HUGE by comparison and none of them have leg straps.

One thing I didn't like on closer inspection was the lack of shoulder straps. A good harness has a shoulder component. I would fear that in a a big fall the "round the chest only" strap could pull free of the weak nylon of the rest of the vest. For 99.9% of falls thoufh it shouldn't be an issue.

Medsailor

·
Registered
39 Posts
That looks like a Herreshoff 28. Nice little ketch. I have a GRP H28 sloop made by Compass Yachts in New Zealand. Several have circumnavigated. I just wish I had the b*lls to pack up and leave.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Good video, beautifully filmed and cut. Nice shots of St Lucia. Also, a relatively balanced story on the plus and minus of the lifestyle - the go now, young, and minimalist.

Well maybe it did leave out some imperfect weather, broken machinery, and slipped anchors, but it also didn't imply it's like the scene from Mutiny on the Bounty when they all come rowing out in Tahiti welcoming the sailors.

Well worth watching.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts