SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this on BBC News.

Piracy at sea is at its lowest level in six years, with 264 attacks recorded - a 40% drop since Somali piracy peaked in 2011, a maritime watchdog has said.

There were only 15 incidents off Somalia last year, the International Maritime Bureau (IMB) said.

This is down from 75 in 2012, and 237 in 2011, its records show.

Full article here:
BBC News - Drop in sea piracy helped by big Somali improvement, says watchdog

Rik

·
Administrator
7,558 Posts
Yes, well, we will see in a month if any sail boats want to run the gauntlet. I think they are fools if they do because the reason for the decline in ships taken is that they are all armed going through there now.
Sailing boats are a different matter.
It will be interesting.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
The decline also seems to have coinsided with the maersk Alabama incident and a higher British and us naval presence in the region. However those numbers are only the reported incidents a small vessel may not be able to report the piracy for various reasons. I'm not planning to go there any time soon

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Yes, I heard this on the radio this morning. I think they said the majority of incidents are now on the African west coast. This is a bit disturbing:

Nigerian pirates, who accounted for 31 of the region's 51 attacks, were "particularly violent", killing one crew member, and kidnapping 36 people to hold onshore for ransom, the IMB said

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
see what a well placed seal team can do...

simply move them around, the other coast of Africa for a few weeks, then malaysia, then....

The US should have done this years before when some private folks were kidnapped....protect their interests, and who better to have done the job. Kudos to the seal team, as I don't buy the BBC crap that "stabilising influence" of Somalia's government had helped deter pirates,"...

·
Registered
23,482 Posts
I just wondered if a convoy of pleasure craft would pay a defended merchant ship to tag along through the region. However, the merchant ship would probably have to slow down so much, it would cost them more than they could charge.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
The evolution of controlled, "secure" passage lanes in some parts of the world seems inevitable. Too many young people with nothing to loose. Wander out of the lanes at your own risk! Just like the "Old Days". Technology is already capable. It will mean another fee!

Trying not to take my maritime freedom for granted. Lucky us! Maine's sea of lobster pots is a symbol of civility. I'll try to remember that.;)

Down

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I just wondered if a convoy of pleasure craft would pay a defended merchant ship to tag along through the region. However, the merchant ship would probably have to slow down so much, it would cost them more than they could charge.
Since most yachts would be headed west, the ships that might accompany them would be too. This means a Suez transit for the majority and transit slots are arranged months in advance and are not negotiable.

So it would be very unlikely, even aside of the cost of slowing to 6 knots for three days, that any merchant vessel would consider it.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The decline also seems to have coinsided with the maersk Alabama incident and a higher British and us naval presence in the region. However those numbers are only the reported incidents a small vessel may not be able to report the piracy for various reasons. I'm not planning to go there any time soon
Yep, because despite what you're mother told you, violence does solve some things.

Reactions: ctj1950 and newhaul
1 - 11 of 11 Posts