SailNet Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
6461 - 6480 of 6510 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Paulo,

Good to see your getting ready for the summer season. Should be a great season for you after that really lousy stormy winter you had. Your boat is looking good and it is looking fast.

We are back in Hood River and have left the boat on the hard in Panama for 6 months. Ya, I know what the hell are we doing! Well 4 new grand kids in the Hood, an El Nino year in Pacific, we have been twice allready, don't need a 40 day crossing at our age, no wind for 1st 1100 miles. Plus we have sailed the new Boreal 44, 7500 miles in less than 8 months and we want to slow down, Panama is a great place to hang out for awhile. May go to S. Pacific when El Nino is over or we may go back to Atlantic coast of Europe so we can spend some time instead of sailing hard south to dodge bad weather like last year, plus the wine and sea food is to good not to go back for another round.

Have a great summer season sailing the Med.

Hey Outbound you out there?

Steve and Tracy

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
I don't know if it has been mentioned but the boat brand that started this thread off way back, Sirus, has moved ahead with their new 40DS. Here is a 3D of it.

These are really cool pilot houses for northern latitudes and they put tons of thought into the design with lots of owner feedback. The site is full of images where they are test fitting the interior with mockups.

And here is the first hull.

Very beautiful boats and definitely interesting. Hope this wasn't a dupe but was checking out their site and couldn't help but be interested in the updates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't particularly like the lines of that boat but for where I sail (55 north or higher) its pretty much exactly what I want. Or a boreal, or an ovni, or a Garcia. Never mind!

Nice to see the design process much lower tech than I would have expected.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
I would think that for high latitude sailing, low tech would be the way to go.

If I was possessed enough to sail north of Alaska or south of Cape Horn, I think a Brentboat or similar would be what I'd want.

Reactions: Capt Len

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,472 ·
I don't know if it has been mentioned but the boat brand that started this thread off way back, Sirus, has moved ahead with their new 40DS. Here is a 3D of it.

These are really cool pilot houses for northern latitudes and they put tons of thought into the design with lots of owner feedback. The site is full of images where they are test fitting the interior with mockups.

And here is the first hull.

Very beautiful boats and definitely interesting. Hope this wasn't a dupe but was checking out their site and couldn't help but be interested in the updates.
It is funny that you that live and sail on high latitude think the boat is suited while some that don't sail there see it as too sophisticated.

Many think about high latitude as uncharted waters but that is not the case in Alaska? or North of Europe. I don't now Alaska but on the North of Europe plenty of nice little ports and interesting places to visit. The boat is not designed as an exploration boat but as a very comfortable boat to live and sail on high latitudes (civilized) countries and for that I think it is a sweet boat. It is also a boat designed for the older (solo) sailor and for those mechanical and hydraulic help is needed to substitute the lost youth and force. Anyway, the boat will be so expensive that probably only the very rich or the very old will have the money to afford it:D

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I think that the more real experience you get in a specific area tends to modify what you think works best.Beauty is in the eye of the owner or wanna be but working your way through chockablock bergy bits in a 5 foot swell or finding the beach to seaward because all the water went somewhere else as the wind changed (charts not withstanding) indicates a more specialized hull form and robustness may be required for a successful voyage outside the marina showplace.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The Sirus 40DS looks pretty good. But looking at their website I noticed they use twin rudders some of their other models. I have no idea why anyone doing serious cruising in high lats would want twin rudders.

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
WOW! :cool:

6461 - 6480 of 6510 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.