SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 electronics networks aboard. Everything is B&G except the Autopilot (Raymarine)
We are going on our 3rd year of cruising and I've always been intrigued by combining the networks so that my AP could sail to a wind angle especially, or even a course on MFD.
The idea is further propagated by the fact that the two ends are within inches of each other.
I see several ways to do it...
1. Connect via A80675 adapter cable. I just bought one, it is a white spur cable. I don't think that it is logical to make the connection via a drop (white) vs backbone (blue). I think the adapter cable was made to add a NMEA2000 item to the existing NG network, not to combine the two networks and have terminators on both sides. Through some research online I believe its possible to remove terminator from Raymarines 5 way block, add a blue cable to one the end, then a T with the N2k drop which actually acts as a backbone and has the whole N2K network..

This kinda explains my predicament, and also offers a new solution...

2. Raymarine recently started making adapter cables that are blue and go from Raymarine NG backbone, to N2k backbone (mentioned in article above). I don't have this and likely can't get it easily down island. Seems like the best option however.

3. Buy a blue cable and splice on field N2k end and essentially make my own #2 option. Likely easily and also heard it being recommended.

Now for my main question..
Power is supplied to Raymarine AP network via the EV200 course computer.
Power is also supplied to Nmea 2k network via a drop on the B&G network.
If I connected the two, I would have 2 power sources..
I could remove the Nmea2k power, but then the power would be only from one end at AP computer to the stern and back and all the way up the mast. Seems stupid to have my whole network run off one switch and would require me to turn on AP to check wind speed or depth or whatever. Also if one this is amiss, the whole network may suffer. I like the idea of thing being separate, but just sharing the information of the two networks..
Thanks for reading and helping!
Handwriting Rectangle Slope Font Line

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have the info available from MFD over wifi, but how to recieve on Raymarine network?

In my head it would make sense that I could splice a raymarine backbone cable (blue) to a Matreon N2K field connector and leave out the power connections, so the new longer connected network shares info, but still the two "sides" power on separately...

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Hello,

Perhaps this will help

On my current boat I have B&G Instruments (Zeus 3 plotter, Triton 2 displays, Triton 20/20 displays, wired wind transducer), Airmar DST800 depth and speed, Raymarine below deck pilot (I think it's EV200) and two ST60 displays, Standard Horizon VHF, and Vesper AIS transceiver.

MOST of the items communicate nicely. The Zeus 3 plotter and Raymarine pilot communicate and the AP can steer to a waypoint, compass heading or wind angle. The plotter can display AIS targets. The raymarine displays receive some information, like wind speed and direction, but not depth. This boat is still new to me (purchased last April) and I'm still learning about it.

My last boat had B&G plotter, Simrad VHF, Raymarine wheel pilot, and instruments. Everything on that boat comunicated nicely. I did the install and I used the Raymarine Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter and then an adapter cable to connect to NMEA2000 network.

Barry

·
Registered
100 Posts
MOST of the items communicate nicely.
I like hearing this, I am installing all new equipment over the next 2 years and may be mixing a B&G Vulcan into Raymarine instruments and Evo-200, and somebody's AIS. All new stuff, so either N2k or STng. On paper they talk nicely, but there is alwas a little voice in my head that expects it to go wrong.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up buying a STng blue backbone cable, cutting the end off and putting a Matreon field connector on. It was super easy. The whole network is powered by the Raymarine autopilot now, I just removed the power drop from the N2K side. Now I can sail to a wind angle. I cannot control AP from anywhere else (which is good!) And I cannot navigate to a point on the plotter (which is fine) We just got to Bonaire an hour ago, 3 days and 3 hours from Martinique. It was really great to have for all that downwind work!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts