SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Interior space Catalina27 vs Alberg30

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Kyhillbilly 
#1 ·
Crazy question to some I guess but I have my reasons. I am curios to hear from those who have actually been on both and have a real idea of the actual interior space if they are about the same or very different. I have been on a Catalina 27 but finding an Alberg30 for me to tour and compare will be somewhat harder to come by. Just getting opinions before I commit the time and effort to finding one. I know that the Alberg and the Cat are very close in beam. However the Cat boats have one to two quarter berths depending on layout. Thinking this will make a big difference when it comes to sleeping arrangements or am I wrong? Not sure if the vberth on the Alberg is much larger or about the same as the cat. Are the bathrooms about the same size as well? I have looked at several pictures but its just hard to tell looking at a pic. I know this is an unusual request because they are two very different boats but thinks to anyone who replies with any information on my query.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the answers. I was hoping the 30 being 3' longer would offset the smaller cabin of the older boats. Does not appear to be the case. Actually I bought a cat22 to learn to ssail on and race at my local marina. Just for back for a week cruise in Pensacola Fl with a group made up mostly of trailer sailers. I am looking for my next boat, it can just play out several different ways for me. This could be my last up grade or could be a stepping stone onto a bigger boat. Wife, kids, work pretty much decide this for me so really hard to say what will happen. If I knew for sure it mostly be only me and my wife sailing I would prob focus on an alberg30 but, always a but, if kids and wife will be going a lot I will need the xtra berths. With both boats pretty much figure to but and start upgrading the boat. And should I decide to sale and move up again most of that investment will be lost. So just trying to make an impossible decision on what to do. Truth is I don't think one can make a decision at this point, just have to roll the dice and see how it comes out.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
I have no intention of sailing into the blue however I do plan to sail to the Bahamas. Lots of smaller boats do it. My big concern is that unexpected storm. It's all about risk vs reward. I want to minimize the risk. At least that is part of the reason for asking my question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.