SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Interior space Catalina27 vs Alberg30

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Kyhillbilly 
Personally, I've found most of the Alberg designs to be really small inside compared to their length.

We owned a Cape Dory 27 and one of the main reasons we moved to another boat was because the interior space in the Alberg boats was seemingly very small. I like the other traits of the Alberg boats, but the interior layouts are largely the same (with a few exceptions) and, IMO, very poorly laid out for their sizes.

That said, in boat hunting, I've found that you get to pick 2 out of 3:

1. Nice interior
2. Build quality
3. Price

The Catalina 27 will have a nice interior and price, but won't be built as well as a Cape Dory or Alberg 30. OTOH, the Alberg 30 may have a nice price and build quality, but the interior is going to be small. If you look at the Pacific Seacraft boats, they have great interiors and are built well, but they are also very expensive. You need to decide what matters most to you, it's all a compromise.

I know a lot of people that live on their ~30ft Alberg boats, but we just couldn't figure out how to make it work. The lack of storage, lack of a real galley, and general lack of function made it too hard for us to spend any amount of time on the boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.