SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals, Got a 1971 Morgan with a 16 ft boom. Has a outhaul that goes around a pulley and down in the boom. I can tighten it with the crank but I haven't figured out how to release it. There is a hole right next to the crank hole. It had some leaves in it. I cleaned it out. I'm thinking put a phillips head screwdriver and push on it, to release it??? Gonna try it later today. Any ideas? The crank works to tighten, I heard it click twice. Thanks in advance.! Kevin

·
19,484 Posts
Picture?

What do you mean by 'crank'.. winch handle in a winch?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Faster but not fast enough! Found it, a little button under the boom by the gooseneck. Push and it releases the out haul. Cool, and even cooler, it worked!Was afraid it might be froze up. But, thanks for the thought, Faster. Kevin.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, guess I wasn't too clear on that. Wire goes from the clew of the mainsail, aft and over a pulley and down into the boom. By the gooseneck is a fitting, recessed, that an allen head crank handle fits in, to tighten outhaul. Closer to the gooseneck, on the bottom of the boom is button. Press it and it releases the outhaul. But, you already knew that.... Kevin

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry I was late to the game on this one. We have a Morgan 42 in the Fleet that has that same out-haul configuration on it. First time I looked at it I had the same head scratching moment. Glad you found it and great that it works. One thing to do is try and push that release while the out-haul is under pressure some and see if it still releases cleanly. A little oil shot in there goes a long way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.