SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an email yesterday that McGraw Hill is closing its International Marine division. This is very sad for sailors. I've got a dozen IM books on my shelf (including my own). They must have been the worlds foremost sailing publisher. According to the email they will continue to support and supply their current catalog, but will no longer bring new titles to the market. I'm really lucky that mine got in under the deadline.

·
Registered
965 Posts
That is sad news. They're right here in town, or were. IM closed their brick and mortar office years ago but I knew there were one or two local folks still putting out the books from their own offices.

What did you publish if you don't mind my asking?

A good friend, Charlie Wing worked with them for decades and turned out many titles.

I see Molly on our local ski mountain all the time. She was great at creating their books(and a great skier as well).

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
Foolish,

You should put a post in the authors and apps section, might get a few copies sold.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know there was an Authors & Apps forum. I've just visited there. (I'm discouraged from promoting it here).

TomMaine, Please say Hi! to Molly for me. I worked very closely with her for the past year.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
They allow one post of self promotion in that forum. If people have questions about your book it is supposed to be asked in that thread, I believe. I don't think anyone would be upset asking a direct question. What they don't want is some non contributing person coming in and having there only post "I wrote this book, buy it" and boom they are gone never to be heard from again.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Having been a freelance outdoor writer for many, many years, I am not at all surprised that they are discontinuing this segment of their business. Most of the major outdoor publications have long since gone by the wayside, and just about every major metropolitan newspaper no longer has an outdoor columnist. I was a columnist for the Washington Post and Baltimore Sun for 16 years. Both no longer have full-time outdoor columnist.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the major outdoor publications have long since gone by the wayside,
But if you could write articles about sitting in a chair with a video game, you'd be in high demand. A statement on the new age.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Yep, you're probably right about that.

BTW: I have read two editions of your single handed sailing books - enjoyed them both.

Thanks,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I too have a number of books with the IM imprint on board. Yes, sad to see them pull out of the market. I guess the market share and sales was not big enough for the corporate guys. But, these days thanks to electronic readers others can publish books themselves if they have a some modicum of skills. Though being able to find a page with that chart of info in a Charlie Wing or Nigal Calder book is certainly more convenient. That's why I carry them on board.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts