SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I connect my NOKIA-9110 mobile-telephone to my Compaq laptop and can then connect to the Internet while sailing (provided being within 20 NM off the coast for the GSM-coverage). It works perfect Klaas

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello
I use here on my boat standard cell phone {bagphone with 5 watt output.
With Mast antenna it does ok while coastal.
Just the standard internet hookup.
Although we just got a starband sat hookup for the boat, we have not really based any real thoughts on it.
Sailmail is ok as we use it also on SSB.
If all you need is say 20mile coverage then cell phone will do while going along coastal.
Offshore I use the starband sat/ backed up with SSB.
Im using the ceel phone hookup as I write this.
Be advised with a cell phone {bag} hookup if you use alot say several hours, one needs to mount a cooling fan on the final TX area.
Alot of heat build up from a cell while its on air for some time.
Ham Radio...
Its nice and Ive had it for years, and its fairly stable.. But one needs to always have backups.
Hope this helps somewhat
IronWind
At Anchorage Ft Myers Fl

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jack
Yes we tend to be on the heavy side for comms
We do "some" travel coastal, but we are equiooed for just about any travel anywhere.
We download the weather maps via the "internet" if we are close in. If not we DL them off of HF SSB
We are trying out the starband today and it seems great.Although the auto tracking for the small dish needs to be re-tuned.
We run all Icom gear for the Comms and Ham Band we use Yasue {sp} and Ten Tec.. simply because we have it.
We have a Sat Phone havent used it since the Alaska trip, it tends to be real expensive..
A simple phone patch from the Ham Bands is about all we need EXCEPT if we really need it.
IronWind

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.