SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

from reading on this forum it seems that some of you are posting on this forum while sailing around. I was wondering how you all get internet on the boat. Also if you are running a laptop off your batteries how many batteries are you carrying. Thanks!

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
For myself, I use Verizon Wireless internet on my laptop, which I power from a 400w inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter plug.

·
Senior Moment
83 Posts
My son built a desktop computer with huge hard drives for my electronic charting and the power supply is 12Volt. The tower is compact and permanently mounted. I use a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. Requires an inventory of aa batteries, but not a problem. I became frustrated with the hot and cold spots running up and down the east coat from the Keys to Maine. I switched over to a Sprint "air card" and had it wired to a high db marine grade cellular antaena mouted at the mast head. I have been extremely pleased and it has allowed me the freedom to actually work from anchor and do more short term cruising than I had previously been able to do. I get an occasional "no service" area but overall it has been great, working as far as 12 miles off shore and in most places I get close to broadband speed. Hope this helps you in some way.

·
Larus Marinus
1,756 Posts
Pretty much all the marinas around Europe seem to be offering WiFi, so I just added a mount and a USB WiFi antenna/transceiver to up the range a bit. Otherwise, its dear old GPRS on the GSM networks. I use a DC / DC converter to get the 20V needed for the computer from the 12V supply.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
When you cast off are you getting away?

This is sort of an antithesis to the thread. When I go out I want to get away, unplug, tune out, turn off. I could stay connected by laptop and PDA / cell phone but I choose not to. The idea of being disconnected is relaxing (for me). I'm living in the moment, there and then. Everything on shore will wait until I get back.

Are you really getting away when you're dragging all of that connectivity with you? Is staying on line necessary or is it just a fix for your techno-addictions?

·
Splashed
572 Posts
This is sort of an antithesis to the thread. When I go out I want to get away, unplug, tune out, turn off. I could stay connected by laptop and PDA / cell phone but I choose not to. The idea of being disconnected is relaxing (for me). I'm living in the moment, there and then. Everything on shore will wait until I get back.

Are you really getting away when you're dragging all of that connectivity with you? Is staying on line necessary or is it just a fix for your techno-addictions?
Agree with Capn' that being offline is important. I'm able to send e-mails usng winlink if required, but try to stay disconnected as soon as I hit the boat.

(I strongly disagree with him on other subjects though :D )

/Joms

1 - 7 of 7 Posts