SailNet Community banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
1024/512 bits for $3.50 a day and the other is unlimited internet for $9.50.
I thought everything that came in over the internet was data????????????????????
I chose the unlimited to watch some Netflix so I spent the big bucks, but need I have done so?
Unless you mis-typed what they were offering, you got a great deal. A 'bit' is short for Binary Integer. A bit can only be a single value of 1 or 0 and computer code (data) is made up of numerous bits (1's and 0's). If they offered you 1,250 bits that's 0.000000128 GB or 0.000000032% of a Netflix movie (assuming about 4GB for one movie). You'd get to watch about 0.23 milliseconds of the movie before they cut you off. I doubt they are charging $3.50 for that, which I why I imagine it's a typo or misunderstanding.

I assume that maybe they meant 1GB(8,000,000,000 bits) or 1 MB (8,000,000 bits) for $3.50 per day and maybe just got lost in translation. Either way, you got a good deal. Hotel internet when you pay for it (usually premium upgrade speeds) is about the same price or more...so you aren't really getting taken advantage of.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
One (forgive me if I'm getting the numbers wrong, but I can't access the page now) says Data, 1024/512 bits for $3.50 a day and the other is unlimited internet for $9.50.
I suspect you are getting some things mixed up.

The 1024/512 numbers are probably kilobits per second (kbps) and refer to the speed of data transfer to your phone (which probably has a caveat of "up to") associated with it. There is likely a maximum amount of data in the $3.50/day plan that is measured in either kilobytes (kB) or megabytes (MB).

The unlimited plan at $9.50 will have a data rate as well, probably the same as the cheaper plan. The difference is that the total amount of data is unlimited.

Cellular companies think and market in terms of voice and data, so even a data-only plan will be labeled data.

Depending on the phone company (even in the Caribbean *grin*) there is usually a website you can use to track your data usage and determine based on your actual consumption whether you are getting your money's worth. You must figure out what the data cap is on the less expensive plan to make that determination.

·
Master Mariner
9,282 Posts
Ok. Here are my choices (see attachment).
Most places down here that offer unlimited internet (quality not withstanding) to boats through an internet access point (not phone) are us$40 to us$50 a month, so us $9.50 a day is pretty dear, IMO.

Attachments

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
Okay. That helps.

First, they are idiots. *grin*

I still think what they mean is speed limited connections at 1024 kbps down and 512 kbps up with no data volume cap. The alternative that you selected is "unlimited" speed (which just means it is as fast as it can be with no imposed speed limit). Open a browser and use a speed measurement service like speedtest.net to see what you are actually getting.

Netflix, which you mentioned, keeps track of your speed in real time and uses buffering and resolution reduction to try to give you a decent experience even on slow connections.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
......Open a browser and use a speed measurement service like speedtest.net to see what you are actually getting......
Very cool. I'm currently getting download speed of 18.53 Mbps and upload speed of 4.81Mbps.

SailNet still loads like a three legged dog (unlike every other site I've been on this evening). Can't imagine running at essentially 1Mbps down and 0.5 up. Although, I've spent my fair share of time in the Caribbean looking for decent internet. I get it.

·
Master Mariner
9,282 Posts
OK, so I got 1.99mbps download and .76mbps upload. 2nd time 2.32 and .77.
Are you saying I can use the cheaper one for most things (not necessarily Netflix) or am I better off with the unlimited because the other is essentially useless?
I won't be around tomorrow to try it and would rather not waste the 3.50 next time I'm here if it won't do anything, or are the "idiots" just hyping the unlimited and it's really no better than the cheap one?

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I'm no expert, but the download time you measured is twice as fast as the $3.50 speeds. 1 Mbps = 1000Kbps

All the plans you posted report to allow an unlimited total quantity of data. The difference seems to be the speed at which that data comes down and goes up.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
OK, so I got 1.99mbps download and .76mbps upload. 2nd time 2.32 and .77.
In the grand scheme of things the faster plan is not that much faster than the slow one.

When you watched Netflix did it freeze regularly or stream smoothly? If it was smooth then the next time you want to watch a movie try the slower system and see how it does.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
In the grand scheme of things the faster plan is not that much faster than the slow one.

When you watched Netflix did it freeze regularly or stream smoothly? If it was smooth then the next time you want to watch a movie try the slower system and see how it does.
Just so we all understand, are Capta's speeds twice as fast as those published for less money or is the relationship not linear?

I agree, however, that both seem slow and I would also try the $3.50 experiment you suggest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m am IT/SQL support guy and my responsibility is to ensure that our clients are happy at any time of the day.
Traveling to remote locations and working from my boat I can afford only Iridium GO! WiFi Hotspot and Satellite Phone. The speed is low ( 1-2 kbps).
Remote desktop is not an option with that speed. To do my job I need only remote command shell and remote SQL manager. I found the solution at ioceanhub.com. It’s free and gives me all I need.

Igor

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
I'm am IT/SQL support guy and my responsibility is to ensure that our clients are happy at any time of the day.
Traveling to remote locations and working from my boat I can afford only Iridium GO! WiFi Hotspot and Satellite Phone. The speed is low ( 1-2 kbps).
Remote desktop is not an option with that speed. To do my job I need only remote command shell and remote SQL manager.
Most people who try to work from afloat end up with a hybrid solution. When you have access to decent WiFi it will be faster than the GO! and less expensive even if you have to pay-to-play. Cellular data fills the gap between short range WiFi and long range satellite.

WiFi range extenders from RedPort (Halo/Optimizer), Ubiquiti (Bullet), and Microtik (Groove) work best. There are a huge range of unlocked GSM phones that allow you to use local prepaid SIM cards either direct coupled or as a hotspot; you can also get a dedicated cellular data stick. Personally I recommend RedPort Halo and Optimizer for your WiFi range extender. The Optimizer lets you plug in a Huawei cellular data stick and your GO! to provide a single WiFi interface for all your onboard devices and switch your upstream data link from WiFi to cell to satellite. In addition it blocks your devices from "phoning home" for O/S and software updates that will blow your budget.

I use PuTTY for general command line access and X-Win32 to run terminal windows over X. I can even launch graphic apps if I'm willing to be patient. *grin* Definitely no remote desktop over satellite but certainly practical over WiFi and cellular. I use TeamViewer for customer support.

Note that WiFi backhaul is often the limiting factor for WiFi connections. I've been able to use very high bandwidth applications over cellular that didn't work over WiFi.

·
bell ringer
6,014 Posts
I'm not having any trouble finding WiFi signals with my bullet. The problem is that they have slow internet speed even at marinas. One of the biggest misleading statements that marinas make is "we have free wifi", they do but it is of little use.

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,205 Posts
I'm not having any trouble finding WiFi signals with my bullet. The problem is that they have slow internet speed even at marinas. One of the biggest misleading statements that marinas make is "we have free wifi", they do but it is of little use.
There is nothing for free these days.

If you want internet P A Y for it

:eek

Yes, it might shock the hell out of you'all but the only good internet comes out of your stingy, moth infested wallet.

:pirateraft:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Yep agreed...have to wait 'till after midnight when all the data hogs go to bed..then the through put is almost instantaneous..

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Yep agreed...have to wait 'till after midnight when all the data hogs go to bed..then the through put is almost instantaneous..
Depends on when you go to bed. :)

We launch early and wifi at the marina is great then. No complaints. Once the place fills up, it's useless. I switch off the wifi receiver and go to cell 3G/4G for all of July and Aug. That only inconveniences movie downloads or video streaming. Otherwise, I really don't care.

·
bell ringer
6,014 Posts
There is nothing for free these days.

If you want internet P A Y for it

:eek

Yes, it might shock the hell out of you'all but the only good internet comes out of your stingy, moth infested wallet.

:pirateraft:
I do pay for it, it is part of the fee to stay at the marina. Yet some of the best WiFi/internet I've gotten was free at an anchorage. Otherwise I end up making a hotspot with my phone to get important stuff like the daily weather lie.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
WOW! I just found an advantage of being really old - I'm never in a hurry anymore. I use an inexpensive USB antenna and steal internet connection from unsecured sites all along the east coast. Yep, they are a bit slow, but they are usually fast enough to stream movies and you tube, plus get my emails. That's as fast as this old codger needs anything. Hell, I no longer buy green bananas. ;)

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.