SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Mark also signing as Marko, soon to be 56 in landlocked Shropshire UK

Sailed dinghies mostly but became obsessed with getting a trailer sailor about 3 years ago and probably, somewhat ill-advisedly bought a 21ft cruiser (Ballerina Mk2)
I tell people I bought a twin axle boat trailer that happened to have an old yacht sitting on it. Which, due to a broken window and an unfortunately sited hole in the bulkhead had had seen more water inside the hull than outside in the last 20 years.

Well I like a challenge and am pretty handy at most engineering task, The engine (a petter AC1W) was duly rebuilt from a box of bits incorporating a couple of modifications, e.g. the water hoses entered and exited at the cylinder head so would not have circulated to the block very well.
Three years on and I shudder to think how much time and money and she is still a ways off hitting the water with my latest "oh god I wish I hadn't started" moment coming when I came to remove the ballast keel bolts. She is a bilge keeler but has a third cast iron ballast Keel about 4" deep going to 9" deep going aft. This is bolted
to a shallow moulded keel which is infilled with concrete I think,

So my first question how do I separate the keel from the boat in order to replace these rusted bolts with stainless steel? and how are they secured into the iron, I can see no evidence as to how they are fixed into the keel, no bolt heads or recesses for same on bottom or sides. The bolts are held firm into the concrete, I would like to think they were sealed into serviceable holes with a mastic or putty like compound and not cast into the concrete but I cannot be sure.
Being optimistic I am fabricating a 14" long 25mm tubular hole saw in the hope I can drill around the bolts to free them up, if they are set in concrete I have no idea of the next step. Anyone got any ideas how best to do this job and how the bolts may be secured into the iron.

Lots of photos to upload later if this venture into social media proves fruitful,

Kindest regards to all likeminded adventurers

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Maybe start by clean/scrap the suface of the concrete,. It may be that the bolts nuts? are hidden in plugged holes in the concrete .Mabe get someone with an experienced eye to give an opinion. Meanwhile pics could help. It could be that any solution will include A large hammer and cold chisel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts