SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I 'm from south of France where sailing is very popular.
I worked 2years in a part time work/study for the Beneteau companyin France . Then I've been spending then 1year in Sydney to study Administrative english .
I'm doing a bachelor of Corporate Management, and am currently intern for the Catamaran Company (in Fort Lauderdale).

I'm very interested in learning the technical words and expressions of the sailing boats in english. I hope to gain and share experience from this forum.

Voila ! ;)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
welcome to sailnet.

DUCK! is a very important word in the english language. It can refer to a certain waterfowl found in marshes all over the world. Or it can refer to a certain command, that if not heeded immediately, can result in great pain to you and maybe damage to the boom!! This command can be heard during a jybe and frequently during an accidental jybe. It is highly recommended you lower your head (duck) below the swing radius of the boom before it konks you on the head. 'Konk' will be discussed in a future lesson.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Catco. Welcome. I am also a relatively new member. I was wondering if you could explain something to me. When I contacted people at your company and a competitor, they didn't seem all that interested in helping me look for a 32 foot to 36 foot catamaran. Is there not enough profit in that size? I would have thought they would be more interested in this economy. Any way, I am sending in the deposit on a new catamaran tomorrow. Reminded my wife of the Julia Roberts movie (Pretty Woman) when a salesperson wouldn't help her, and she later went on a buying spree. I'm asking to learn something, not to hassle you or anyone else.

Thanks,

Twinsdad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts