SailNet Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: INTRUDERS, PIRATES & THIEVES vs Paintballs, Spray, & other Non-lethal ideas!

This is a link to the YouTubers who just lost many thousands of dollars of equipment while anchored off of the north coast of Panama https://www.facebook.com/SailingSeatramp/posts/579618405899819?__tn__=K-R If they were locked inside the boat, and shot bear spray into the cockpit and through portlights, that possibly would have helped. We know of a cruiser in the same situation and their bear spray saved the day. It is powerful stuff.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Re: INTRUDERS, PIRATES & THIEVES vs Paintballs, Spray, & other Non-lethal ideas!

This is a link to the YouTubers who just lost many thousands of dollars of equipment while anchored off of the north coast of Panama https://www.facebook.com/SailingSeatramp/posts/579618405899819?__tn__=K-R If they were locked inside the boat, and shot bear spray into the cockpit and through portlights, that possibly would have helped. We know of a cruiser in the same situation and their bear spray saved the day. It is powerful stuff.

I have certain sprays next to the cockpit door that I can squirt through. Also gels that spray into the wind :)

Imperative to be locked inside and cockpit flooded with light.

Mark

·
Registered
21,633 Posts

Having the ability to lock oneself down below makes sense. Leave something worth stealing in the cockpit. Perhaps they’ll be satisfied and leave. If they still want you, that’s when you must defend your life. It is very hard to legally carry any defensive weapon I’ve heard of to date.

Here’s an edgy and dangerous idea. If you’re locked below and an intruder is attempting to enter, how about donning mil-spec gas masks and putting a container of ammonia and chlorine in the salon. Both ingredients can be carried legally. Maybe there is a way to advance the distribution of the resultant toxic gas, when they are mixed. I think it’s not just toxic, but may be noxious enough to drive one away. Seriously not sure.

Obviously, your bloody mask better work.

Edit: these gases are probably pretty bad for the boat too.

·
Registered
525 Posts

Here’s an edgy and dangerous idea. If you’re locked below and an intruder is attempting to enter, how about donning mil-spec gas masks and putting a container of ammonia and chlorine in the salon...
You'd be better off with a high quality respirator from you favorite home improvement store. Also, no amount of filtration will help you when the breathable air has been displaced.

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts

Here’s an edgy and dangerous idea. If you’re locked below and an intruder is attempting to enter, how about donning mil-spec gas masks and putting a container of ammonia and chlorine in the salon. Both ingredients can be carried legally. Maybe there is a way to advance the distribution of the resultant toxic gas, when they are mixed. I think it’s not just toxic, but may be noxious enough to drive one away. Seriously not sure.

Obviously, your bloody mask better work.

Edit: these gases are probably pretty bad for the boat too.
Interesting thought, though I really wonder if some "pirate" found himself in that position, he might just put a clip of rounds into the boat, potentially sinking your boat and more remotely, hitting someone below. I think, I would?

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts

I'm afraid I could not disagree more, with the fella in the store. Cocking a gun is not a deterrent, it's a threat. That cocking sound is just movie BS. Do it in real life and whoever just heard it is now in life preservation mode, which would include killing you if they had to and could.
I wow, how well stated!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree completely. Self-defense with a firearm isn't about bluffing. And if you are seriously outgunned, then I see little else to do but acquiesce. Perhaps you will survive. If you get shot out there you probably won't.

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts

Here is a report that just came up a few minutes ago. When speaking of "this group", that means a Face Book, YouTube group. We know a cruiser who was overwhelmed by 6 men, all armed....there is nothing you can do to rescue the situation on your own.

Mayday Mayday Mayday: SAILING SEATRAMP was attacked a couple of days ago in Panama by 6 armed robbers who took everything. The damage is huge, and the continuation of their journey is at stake.
Nina Schev is an active member in this Group, and she is one of the first members of the Creators Only Group.
Link to support on GoFundMe. [email protected]
That area of the Caribbean has always been dangerous, it's just that information is now much more available and more quickly disseminated.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Not sure if there are any statistics on this - but what are the percentage of cruisers who get themselves killed by fighting back vs the ones that just hand over the swag? First instinct is to fight back - but it may not be the best choice - we split our time between Florida and Medellin Colombia - the gringos/expats that have been killed there in robbery attempts - almost all have one thing in common they fought back - and got themselves killed - I know of none that were killed or harmed when they handed over the valuables - I understand if your family is on board and you fear for their lives - but most of these situations are about theft - not kidnapping - by fighting back you escalate the situation -

21 - 28 of 28 Posts