SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new to us boat came with a Vigil brand inverter with the model "ShorePower Inverter System" stamped on the control panel. This manufacturer made a few products during the 1980s but has since disappeared and there is almost no information on the web.

Our survey showed this system as "tested and working" in early July 2014 but it has never worked for me since taking delivery at that time. I set the switch to SHIP and the inverter panel to AUTO or ON but nothing seems to work. Not even any lights on the inverter panel.

This is a 1500w inverter and it would be nice if it were working. Does anyone have any idea where to start with troubleshooting this problem?

Mike
Persistence
1987 Frers 33

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
Yep.

Trace the big 12VDC cables from the inverter to the battery. Make sure everything is clean and tight. Check voltage at the inverter. Disconnect the remote control panel and use local control at the inverter to turn it on. Check for voltage (117VAC since you appear to be in North America) at the output of the inverter. Report back.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Mike, I'd go with what Audacious said but a little further.

Get a pad and pencil and a bright flashlight.

Check from battery cables, to inverter, out to at least one "known good" test load. Write down any connection labels (does the inverter say "BAT+""BAT-""OUT" etc?) and also check for any FUSES or breakers that might be installed in the inverter itself, as well as the breaker panel.

See what you've got, because often when things aren't used they get "touched" as in disconnected or unplugged.

We did a gut rewire once and found "Hey, what's this?" in the form of a toggle switch and some zip cord taped into the top back of the lazarette, running off into obscure spaces. Turns out some PO had wired in a "security" hidden switch that cut out the fuel pump. Which fortunately hadn't failed!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.