SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Trying to see if it's ok to use iPad with Navionics or other apps instead of marine GPS/Chart plotters that are made for marine navigation. I use my iPad 4 with Navionics boating locally and it works great for me but trying to see if its ok to take it further lets say to Abacos Bahamas ?

Thank You !

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
It'll work... to a point.
The charts are technically the same. Of course it won't hold up well to environmental elements (you can get a case so it will)...

resolution isn't great, but it works.

Of course some data won't update without WIFI or cellular, but you CAN pre-download local charts with a connection.

I've been using Navionics for about 3 years now, on 3 different devices, iPhone 4, Android Moto Razr Maxx, and now my Galaxy S4. I guess technically I've used 4 devices because I ran it also on my Galaxy Tab 2 (which has a stellar screen for it).. that version costs more, but then the device is way larger... it's still a bargain at like $45.

but yeah It'll work OK, and works well as a backup for larger voyages to a real chart plotter.

·
Administrator
8,379 Posts
trying to see if its ok to take it further lets say to Abacos Bahamas ?
!
Yes, the Abacos are as far as GPS goes.

It used to cover the whole world but that Obama bloke (I'm not American, we have a Queen) nerfed it because Russia shot out a few satellites. No one knows of this, of course. Its all hush hush cos of some CIA thing. But the NY Times has an article on their website about it, but that got pulled... However we can prove it happened cos some folks got screenshots. Just google: CIA GPS Conspiracy.

Anyway, futher past the Abacos and you're stuffed. Even the Exumas are dodgy.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Hello. Trying to see if it's ok to use iPad with Navionics or other apps instead of marine GPS/Chart plotters that are made for marine navigation. I use my iPad 4 with Navionics boating locally and it works great for me but trying to see if its ok to take it further lets say to Abacos Bahamas ?

Thank You !
Just came back from the BVI and brought a Garmin hand held, GPS MAP 378, an iPhone 6 Plus and an iPad Air both running Navionics and Garmin Blue Chart Mobile.. Here's how it went down in the tropics..

Garmin - Screen bright & visible even in direct sun and 100% reliable

iPhone 6 Plus - Screen very tough to see even on max brightness. Running Nav programs ate battery. Had 4 over temp shut downs in 7 days. Not reliable during a short 7 day cruise.

iPad Air - Same as above but 6 over heating events in 7 days. Not reliable on a short 7 day cruise..

Even when I took the devices out of their cases they still over heated. I have also had my iPad over heat here in Maine.... This is usually a full 20-30 minute shut down and cool off before rebooting....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read somewhere that Navionics is missing some reef and shallows and is not accurate for Bahamas. Can we agree with that ? Trying to prepare for my trip to Abacos next June.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I've read somewhere that Navionics is missing some reef and shallows and is not accurate for Bahamas. Can we agree with that ? Trying to prepare for my trip to Abacos next June.
For the BVI I found the Garmin charts more accurate but neither Garmin nor Navionics were "accurate".....

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
iPhone 6 Plus - Screen very tough to see even on max brightness. Running Nav programs ate battery. Had 4 over temp shut downs in 7 days. Not reliable during a short 7 day cruise.

iPad Air - Same as above but 6 over heating events in 7 days. Not reliable on a short 7 day cruise.....
While I only consider the iDevices to be good backup nav or convenience nav, I always keep my phone in my pocket. Never overheats. Very handy. The Ipad stays under the bimini and has also never overheated. Indeed, you can't leave them baking in direct sunlight, but I'm not sure why they need to be on and running full time anyway.

If one is able and willing to use paper charts, I think the iDevices are perfectly suitable backups and substantially more utilitarian than a dedicated gps.

No doubt, the screens are not as clear in direct sunlight, but I don't find it all that tough to use my body to block the sun to check on something.

btw, by convenience nav, I mean when you are below and someone else is actually responsible for the helm and navigating. It's really nice to be able to take a peek on where you are headed or quickly calculate eta. I admit, I've propped my phone on the sink, while using the head underway in narrow seaways, to be sure the helmsman isn't wandering.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
IPad draws 2.4 amps. Most USB 12 volt chargers are 2.1 amps. Sooner or later it dies.

Used an IPad 3 in a waterproof case with the Ray software on the Annapolis Bermuda race. Generally bright enough, but the battery charging was an issue. Didn't use it much once we were out of the Bay. Never overheated.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
IPad draws 2.4 amps. Most USB 12 volt chargers are 2.1 amps. Sooner or later it dies.

Used an IPad 3 in a waterproof case with the Ray software on the Annapolis Bermuda race. Generally bright enough, but the battery charging was an issue. Didn't use it much once we were out of the Bay. Never overheated.
Get a cheap 2.4amp car charger... Amazon.com: Anker® 24W Dual-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ technology and 3ft / 0.9m Micro USB Cable for Galaxy S5 S4, Tab 2, Note 4 3 , LG G3, Nexus 6 9, HTC One M8, MOTO X and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I use my iPhone/iPad for navigation all the time. Often instead of my installed chart plotter since the charts are much more up to date. But I still consider them backups. They are just to vulnerable to damage and being dropped compared to an installed unit.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Thanks, I found a 2.4 amp socket on Ebay last fall. More secure than the adapter. If you have a late model Ray plotter you can get free chart updates. Another thing on my Winter list...

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts

The newer iPads come with a 2.4A rated wall adapter the old ones came with a 2.1A. The new iPads will work fine on the older 2.1A charge supply just charge a bit slower. We have a mix of about 5 Apple 2.1A and 2.4A wall worts and we never know which is which yet all the iPads charge..

For the boat we have both 2.1A and 2.4A 12V USB chargers and our iPad Air's will run indefinitely on a 2.1A supply even with multiple apps open & GPS running. Even with the 2.1A both of our iPad Air models will actually charge while still using them...

Be sure what you are plugging into is a 2.1A USB socket not a typical 1.0A socket. Lots of dual USB 12V adapters have a single 2.1A port then a 1.0A port. They are usually not labeled well. If you plug into the 2.1A socket you are fine, if you plug into the 1.0A port you will need to shut it down in order to recharge in a timely fashion..

Perhaps the best 12V USB adapters I have found, reliability wise, are the Scosche reVOLT 12W + 12W Dual 12-watt/2.4-amp USB sockets. These are small dual USB 12V adapters which are 2.4A per socket. I have burned out many 12V USB sockets, as have many of my customers, but I can't seem to kill the Scosche reVOLTs. They are a little more pricey than the cheap Chinese off brand models but they actually last. They will also charge two iPads at the same time and not over heat and melt down..

Amazon.com: SCOSCHE USBC242M 12 Watt USB Car Charger for iPhone/iPad/iPod Lightning/Micro - Retail Packaging - Black: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41qpPKfhlvL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Going to Cabelas next Saturday to see what handheld GPSs they have. I want to continue using my iPad as a primary GPS and have a handheld as a spare or reference.

Thanks everybody ! :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've been using an Ipad with Garmin app for a couple seasons, and I love it! It's my main screen now but I don't trust it alone, so I back it up with my older onboard CP and an iphone(often more in fact if I have family or company onboard). These devices all have different software and power sources.

In fact it's the redundancy of several devices that have me all in electronic chartware, for my coastal sailing. For me, it's made sailing better, navigation easier and safer.

Add redundancy to your ipad in whatever form you like-paper- more devices-both, until you're comfortable with the type of sailing you do. Only you can decide that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have this setup - iPad 4 and iNAV X. Used this cruising last year, worked just fine. I have a Garmin GPS portable and charts at the ready.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
For the Bahamas you want Explorer Charts. These come in three large format books. As I understand it, the Explorer chart data, which is much better than the government data (either US or British) is also available with Garmin. So, as an iPad owner, I would probably buy the chart books and use the iPad for locations as needed. In general, I think that an iPad with Navionics is a wonderful backup for a regular chart plotter. Something I have found strange is that in some places the data on the iPad is better than on the chart plotter also with Navionics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts