SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Garmin GLO Bluetooth receiver. My new iPad 3 (wifi only) says the gar in is connected. However, how do I know it is getting right position info as there is no place where it gives position.
Where can I get the necessary software? I tried the NOAA charts but the iPad will not download them.
So far, the iPad seems to be a fairly useless toy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You need an app to display the NOAA charts you download. And the same app should show your position so you can verify whether it is correct.

There are lots of places to find ipad navigation/charting apps. Searching on Google using the term "downloading noaa charts to ipad" returns lots of navigation/charting apps that will allow you to display NOAA charts. You can also search the Apple apps store.

It has been pretty well established that ipads are NOT useless toys when it comes to navigation. Just look at any number of blogs such as PANBO or I-Marine Apps and the many posts on various sites from people that are using ipads successfully. For a good summary of using ipads on a boat see http://i-marineapps.blogspot.com/2012/06/ipad-onboard-navigation.html.

·
Registered
23,434 Posts
I bought a Garmin GLO Bluetooth receiver. My new iPad 3 (wifi only) says the gar in is connected. However, how do I know it is getting right position info as there is no place where it gives position.
Where can I get the necessary software? I tried the NOAA charts but the iPad will not download them.
So far, the iPad seems to be a fairly useless toy.
This one seems like pilot error, no tablet is useless.

Go to the App Store icon and press it. Type in either Marine Navigation or Latitude and Longitude in the search box.

With the latter you can get a simple free app that will display your current Lat/Long if you're just trying to confirm its accuracy against a known position. For actual marine navigation, there are several options, but you pay for them. For basic nav, I use Charts and Tides. Type that in the search box. About $25 for the entire East Coast. I like it because you also get Active Captain data displayed on the chart.

I've tried Garmin's BlueChart app, but did not like it. I needed it to sail in foreign waters, as C&T did not have those charts. Others have used iNavX and Navionics, both of which I think are more capable than C&T, but probably a bit more complex too.

Just wait until you find it's real time weather radar, NOAA buoy data, wind forecasting, tides, etc, etc. Not useless.

Reactions: olson34

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
While I find my Iphone and Ipad fairly useless on the water (FOR ME :) ) they do place the boat on the charts correctly and have a very good GPS chip

I find the Ipad very good for planning routes which I transfer to my various units that I can read well in daylight and don't worry about getting wet

·
Registered
23,434 Posts
While I find my Iphone and Ipad fairly useless on the water.....
I would think you would have cell coverage just about everywhere on the water near you. A good radar app is incredibly useful.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The cell coverage is not relevant to the GPS performance on iproducts

While I can get AIS with the cell coverage NOT sure about that Radar deal :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally downloaded the "Skipper" app after two tries. It shows nice charts and shows my home position. However, when I took it somewhere today, the maps would not follow along and I quickly found myself "off the map" (seems to be the story of my life).
I had assumed it had downloaded the maps so it does not have to be using the phone but only use the gps coords from the garmin glo.

At this point, even if I can get it to work, I would not consider it to be reliable enough to be a primary nav tool as I cannot be sure it is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

No way I'm giving up my paper charts and plotting tools.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The title of this thread was done on my ipad and it "spell corrected" it to be incomprehensible.
Thus, here is my rant on poor design of digital stuff.

Ever notice how the design of an old fashioned analog alarm clock or radio is intuitively obvious? You get visual and immediate audio feedback that you are accomplishing something and how to do so is mostly obvious. Digital stuff from watches to cell phones and GPS are seriously poorly designed from an obviousness perspective.
For example, the Garmin GLO. The only sign of dead batteries is that your position is wrong and a puzzling series of flashing lights on the thing. You'd have to carry the manual around to interpret the flashing light sequence to figure out the batteries are dying.
A typical Garmin handheld GPS requires a strange series of button pushes to accomplish anything. By the time I've figured out how to get the pre-inputted positions of something off it, I can just go measure it from the chart and be certain I am looking at the right thing. I am not bitching about just Garmin but the entire philosophy of how digital things are designed.
I used to have a digital watch but eventually threw it away because it was so complicated to make sure it was on the right time zone. I never could be certain I knew what time it was.
Don't get me started on so-called "smart phones". As far as I can see the only useful thing my wife's iphone does is find the nearest Starbucks on road trips.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Thank god you do not own POLAR RCX5 my running watch with GPS/STRIDE SENSOR/ECT/ECT because you clearly don't like to learn how to use new things :) :)

I love knowing the painful details of every second of those 43.5 miles and how i can go faster next year

I clearly like my paper charts

But i surly love my stuff also

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe the human brain has a fairly limited capacity and when it is full, it begins to compress not only data but connections between data as well and this compression is "lossy". It prioritizes data to compress. Data that is often used doesn't get compressed much whereas rarely used data gets compressed a lot.
I am afraid that if I try to learn new "useless" stuff that is subject to arbitrary changes that I will lose the important but seldom used knowledge I have. Thus knowing in general how things work (physics) is very important but knowing the minute details of the latest gadget that will probably change within 6 months is not only not important but potentially harmful.
Consequently, I can rebuild a 1980s era electron microscope because I can ID the components, rebuild a diesel, design x-ray optics and do complex calculations by hand but find it maddening to have to learn the flavor of the day computer crap.
Applying this concept to navigation, I'd much rather know the math than be able to operate a computer to do it. I'd much rather remember the law of sines for spherical geometry than remember how to upload a NOAA chart file. This is why I love my paper charts and loathe computer navigation. AND, I actually built computer circuits in the mid-70s using the old 7400 series chips and did a lot of programming. That was useful whereas knowing how to operate an ipad is silly by comparison.
In other words, I'm a curmudgeon.

·
Registered
23,434 Posts
If you can't/won't get your head around electronic navigation, it's a good thing you're not a pilot.

·
Registered
23,434 Posts
The cell coverage is not relevant to the GPS performance on iproducts

While I can get AIS with the cell coverage NOT sure about that Radar deal :)
If you have an iPhone/iPad, get the NOAA Hi Def radar or the Intellicast app, or both.

With cell coverage, they will each download live satellite radar coverage for free and show were you are in relation to the weather. I've used them to sail around weather systems and to be able to figure out if I will get to anchorage before those dark skies catch me. Intellicast has a ruler where you can measure from your location to the storm front. Very cool.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to fly with a friend who had an Aerostar. We flew all over the USA and from Huntsville, AL to the west coast numerous times. I loved helping navigate (paper charts). Would it be any fun today?

OK, I went for a walk with the Garmin Glo and Ipad running Skipper. It seemed to work keeping track of where i was over two miles.
NOW, I just have to make sure it works most of the time and find out why it failed this morning.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
If you have an iPhone/iPad, get the NOAA Hi Def radar or the Intellicast app, or both.

With cell coverage, they will each download live satellite radar coverage for free and show were you are in relation to the weather. I've used them to sail around weather systems and to be able to figure out if I will get to anchorage before those dark skies catch me. Intellicast has a ruler where you can measure from your location to the storm front. Very cool.
Do you have the free or paid version of Intellicast app?

·
Registered
23,434 Posts
I used to fly with a friend who had an Aerostar. We flew all over the USA and from Huntsville, AL to the west coast numerous times. I loved helping navigate (paper charts). Would it be any fun today?
With the advent of temporary flight restrictions, post 9/11, it probably would not be fun today. Anyway, when above the clouds, or inside them for that matter, you better be good with electronic nav.

I have a friend who owns an Aerostar now. Funny looking, but pretty capable for a piston twin prop. The cabin door is called the hamburger door, because it opens straight into the left engine propeller. :eek:

OK, I went for a walk with the Garmin Glo and Ipad running Skipper. It seemed to work keeping track of where i was over two miles.
NOW, I just have to make sure it works most of the time and find out why it failed this morning.
You are the first I know that has ever mentioned the Skipper app. I had to look at it on the app store. Seems like a low cost competitor. You may be getting what you paid for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts