SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, retrofitting my new to me 1975 Grampian 26 and I need some instruments, I know I can use my iPhone or iPad for GPS but is there a way to use it as a depth sounder?
also looking at getting the Calypso wind instruments I would like to have a clean setup, easy to read and use.
thanks in advance

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
There's a thing called a Vexilar Sonarphone which is a transducer and control box that will put out a wifi signal which, combined with the iPhone app, will give you depth readings. I don't know how easy it is to use or whether it will work for your situation.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Hey,

If you can find one, check out the B&G Vulcan 5. That model supported many different sonar transducers, and came with wifi. B&G has a program that will allow you to display and control the plotter on your IOS or Android device.

Barry

·
Registered
926 Posts
I don't know about the phone thing but inexpensive, reliable, always ready, easy to read depth sounders are easily installed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to rely on my iPad because it's a relatively small boat and I don't want to install too many systems.
I looked at the Vexilar and I'm thinking of getting it, I also looked at the Calypso instruments anemotracker, so the iPad would do triple duty with the navionics app. As well as anchor alarm, all in a small package.
next will be looking at a good bluetooth speaker and my nav-entertainment system will be complete.

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I want to rely on my iPad because it's a relatively small boat and I don't want to install too many systems.
I looked at the Vexilar and I'm thinking of getting it, I also looked at the Calypso instruments anemotracker, so the iPad would do triple duty with the navionics app. As well as anchor alarm, all in a small package.
next will be looking at a good bluetooth speaker and my nav-entertainment system will be complete.
That looks pretty cool:
Vexilar SONARPHONE W / HS TRANSDUCER

It'd be nice if it worked with Navionics or something so you could show depth while you were looking at your chartplotter.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
SOMEWHERE recently someone was using an iPhone with WiFi transducer where he was marking a channel and the data was going onto a chart or something that could be put into a chart.

It’s here somewhere. No idea where.

(Or was it CruisersForum?)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Hey,

On my boat I run Navioncs on my Vulcan 7, and on my phone. If I am 'tracking' my trip the sonar information from the Vulcan is sent to my phone and stored. When I get back onto WIFI and sync, the depth information is sent to the cloud and the charts are updated. Next time someone else logs on to get the latest charts MY depth information is included.

This is very good use of crowd sourcing.

Forget about Coast Guard changes to charts, this happens in near real time. If lots of boaters doing the intercoastal used this, it would probably prevent a lot of groundings.

Barry

SOMEWHERE recently someone was using an iPhone with WiFi transducer where he was marking a channel and the data was going onto a chart or something that could be put into a chart.

It’s here somewhere. No idea where.

(Or was it CruisersForum?)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
...while looking at your tablet/pad
Oh, sorry, I meant looking at your tablet. It'd be cool if the tablet version of Navionics (or what have you) could take the data from the Vexilar transducer so you could see the depth/temp on the screen of your navigation. Although handheld devices are cheap enough I guess you could have two in the cockpit, one for depth/temp/sonar and the other for navigation. Then you'd have redundancy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but just in case someone needs the info, you can indeed install the Navionics app on your ipad and purchase the Vexilar T-box for the transducer/ depth readings. You simply have to power the transducer and the wifi box (the "T-Box") and it will talk directly to your ipad. It will tell you the depth on your ipad screen.
Not only that but you can record the depth as you go and it will update your chart with real-time data (called SonarChart live). I've used this as my primary navigation for years. Let me know if you have any questions. I can probably help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Vexilar unit works just fine. I got it a couple of years ago for a very specific application and never needed to connect it to a chart program though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool, thanks everyone, just picked one up, can't wait to have the boat in the water to try it out

·
Registered
55 Posts
A note about WiFi connected devices. The Vexilar works fine as a depth sounder. But you can usually have only a single Wifi connection open. So trying to combine the depth with other data sources doesn’t work very well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can the transducer be mounted inside the hull? Looks like it is supposed to be mounted on the transom from the outside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the company told me it can be mounted inside, just like any other transducer

·
Registered
267 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but just in case someone needs the info, you can indeed install the Navionics app on your ipad and purchase the Vexilar T-box for the transducer/ depth readings. You simply have to power the transducer and the wifi box (the "T-Box") and it will talk directly to your ipad. It will tell you the depth on your ipad screen.
Not only that but you can record the depth as you go and it will update your chart with real-time data (called SonarChart live). I've used this as my primary navigation for years. Let me know if you have any questions. I can probably help.
Do you happen to know if it will connect to iSailor or iNavx?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts