SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
santa came a bit early with one gift; an ipod classic!!

Our boat stereo does not have an external input jack for easy use of this. :mad:
I've used the transmitters that send the ipod audio to the FM radio. What I've seen doesn't work that well. Anyone have good results using a certain brand? other ideas on getting our tunes into the stereo? Rather not spend the money & install time on a new stereo at this point, plenty of other stuff to deal with.

Thanks IA

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Xort-

Does the stereo have a cassette tape player??? you can use the cassette adapters and they do a pretty good job....far better sound quality than the FM transmitters. If your stereo has a set of aux inputs on the back, you could always run a cable from there to someplace you can reach it to plug the iPod in as well.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
If your stereo does not have an aux input then you're pretty much limited to 2 or 3 options.

1. The FM Transmitter. Worst sound quality (regarless of brand) but easiest to use. Find an empty station and go. Griffin makes a product called the iTrip for pretty much every iPod model. It;s nice if you can find one because it will broadcast on any frequency. The frequency is changed by playing an mp3 file which has coded beeps that the iPod decodes. Good luck finding an older one tho. Also make sure you don't run the iPod volume any higher than about 75% to avoid overdriving the transmitter and creating distortion.

2. If your stereo is equipped with a tape player, you can use a tape adapter. The tape adapter will give you better sound quality than an FM transmitter but some can be finicky. They also require a wire from your iPod to the deck which might not be desirable.

3. Upgrade your stereo. Almost all newer stereos come with an aux input. I ended up installing a CMD4 in my boat and love it. I think the latest model is the CMD5. It's expensive but it's a Marine grade stereo, has great sound/power, and can be expanded with remote controls (i.e.transome mount), Sat radio (sirius) module, or an iPod control module. Just hook up the iPod and you can control the ipod from the stereo.

Hope this helps.

Our boat stereo does not have an external input jack for easy use of this. :mad:
I've used the transmitters that send the ipod audio to the FM radio. What I've seen doesn't work that well. Anyone have good results using a certain brand? other ideas on getting our tunes into the stereo? Rather not spend the money & install time on a new stereo at this point, plenty of other stuff to deal with.

Thanks IA

·
Registered
801 Posts

Thanks IA
I've tried a couple of those transmitters. I have had "ok luck" with them. You really have to have the antenna pretty close for some reason. Being a radio guy, I have looked it over and they are transmitting on the order of 25 milliwatts - not very much.

But if you have a cassette player, there are devices that allow you to plug in a cassette case that has a cable, plugging into the earphone jack on iPod. But this is a messy solution.

Your best bet is a good transmitter. Also, if your antenna is outside of the boat a good distance away from the stereo, you can actually disconnect that external antenna and simply run a wire from your stereo connector to near the iPod - this will get more signal into the receiver.

This is one that is supposed to be very good. I don't have personal experience with it, but my son-in-law uses this one for his car. He said it works very good in his car. It's about 40 bucks. Belkin : TuneCast™ II

For some reason I'm spacing the name and model of the one I use, but it plugs into the bottom port on an ipod (I've got an 80 gb video model) and has a small antenna on it. It's not very convenient sometimes, since you need to "vertically polarize" the antenna for cars (That means stand the ipod up) so it's not the best solution - though it works in my car fine. I use it at my hot tub too (yep, hot tub has a stereo, and I'll never buy one like that again!) haha

·
Registered
516 Posts
FM Transmitter,
Am sorry but do not know the brand name.Daughter bought it at Target store thought if it helps.Left it in the litterbox with a friend.

Biggest difference between the one she sent me and most others i have seen is this one had a charger built into it.Powered by a 12v outlet.Was wired not a docking station.Worked on any FM channel.Range was about 20 feet.

Hope This Helps
Mark

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our unit has CD with external CD changer but no cassette player. The unit isn't that old, just before the ipod generation. I pulled it out and looked for extra jacks but found none. Thinking of using the CD changer jack. Possibly with an A/B switch so I could still use the changer.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Our unit has CD with external CD changer but no cassette player. The unit isn't that old, just before the ipod generation. I pulled it out and looked for extra jacks but found none. Thinking of using the CD changer jack. Possibly with an A/B switch so I could still use the changer.
What's the model? There might be another option. There are several companies that make after market adapters that can connect to the CD-Changer bus of many different systems. Most are meant to interface with factory car stereos but some are available for major brand after market stereos as well.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no doubt I want to use the ipod aboard. hate to toss a perfectly good stereo.
I think I'm going to look at an A/B switch instead of FM tx.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
no doubt I want to use the ipod aboard. hate to toss a perfectly good stereo.
I think I'm going to look at an A/B switch instead of FM tx.
If your stereo has AV inputs, like mine, you can plug into that. That is how I connect.

Brian

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Of course, he's got the only Stereo BBQ grill with Aux inputs anyone has ever seen. He had it built custom. :)
If your stereo has AV inputs, like mine, you can plug into that. That is how I connect.

Brian
XOrt-

One advantage of going with one of the newer stereos that has the iPod dock-type connector as an input is that you can stash the iPod away someplace it will be safe from dropping, getting wet, etc... :) The cable will charge and connect the iPod and most will allow you to control the iPod from the deck's controls.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Of course, he's got the only Stereo BBQ grill with Aux inputs anyone has ever seen. He had it built custom. :)

XOrt-

One advantage of going with one of the newer stereos that has the iPod dock-type connector as an input is that you can stash the iPod away someplace it will be safe from dropping, getting wet, etc... :) The cable will charge and connect the iPod and most will allow you to control the iPod from the deck's controls.
Exactly. That's what's nice about the Clarion unit I have. You run the dock connector to some place nice and dry and you control it elsewhere. If you get the remote control with display and mount it in the cockpit, you don't even need to touch the stereo itself. Mount it below as well.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's the model? There might be another option. There are several companies that make after market adapters that can connect to the CD-Changer bus of many different systems. Most are meant to interface with factory car stereos but some are available for major brand after market stereos as well.
It's a Clarion XMA-1.

·
San Juan 26
395 Posts
You can try this. I have one on my Sirius radio. It blocks FM signals to the stereo reciever when it is receiving imput from the sat radio's FM transmitter. I think you would be able to use it with your I pod xmitter as well. Best Buy sells them if you didn't want to buy it online. Worth a shot anyway.
FM Direct Adapter - Shop Sirius

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Yup... I have a Clarion unit with the remote control on the boat, and an Alpine unit in the truck. :)

Exactly. That's what's nice about the Clarion unit I have. You run the dock connector to some place nice and dry and you control it elsewhere. If you get the remote control with display and mount it in the cockpit, you don't even need to touch the stereo itself. Mount it below as well.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
You can try this. I have one on my Sirius radio. It blocks FM signals to the stereo reciever when it is receiving imput from the sat radio's FM transmitter. I think you would be able to use it with your I pod xmitter as well. Best Buy sells them if you didn't want to buy it online. Worth a shot anyway.
FM Direct Adapter - Shop Sirius
Clarion makes one too. It's better in that it actually disconnects the external antenna which all but eliminates bleed through from strong stations. Sound quality still isn't as good as tape adapter or direct input.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts