SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
CeNet is Clarion's proprietary expansion interface for their stereo systems. :)
Huh? I don't speak portugese, could you translate that?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
no doubt I want to use the ipod aboard. hate to toss a perfectly good stereo.
I think I'm going to look at an A/B switch instead of FM tx.
Just toss the cd changer. Once you get your collection on the ipod there will be no need for it. I use my ipod everywhere, on the boat, on the motorcycle, through the intercom on the plane and primarily on the bus going to work. Ipod is the greatest thing that ever happened for commuters using public transportation.

I wasn't aware that there is a possiblity of interfacing my ipod using the jacks for the changer. I'll be looking into that but, I have had decent results with my FM unit. The biggest advantage is that I can have the ipod next to the helm, so I can select tunes and pause the music if I need/want to. I still have to go below to adjust volume though. If I ever upgrade the stereo I'll be looking for remote capabilty.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
The XMA1 is an older double DIN cassette unit with CD changer capabilities. It should accept the Clarion EA1251 iPod adapter for units older than 2006. I would call Clarion USA just to confirm though..

Clarion EA1251 iPod Adapter (LINK)

Ah yes that's the predecessor to the CAWV2 that I mentioned. I looked at the XMA-1 manual and it doesn't mention anything about being CeNET capable so I'm thinking it might not work. But Definitely Xort should call Clarion to be sure.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Maine
Thanks much for finding that. I did a websearch for xma-1 and didn't find anything of help.

Mid
tossing the cd changer is a possiblility. want to hold off if possible altho I totally agree and will still have the single cd in the stereo.

thanks

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ah yes that's the predecessor to the CAWV2 that I mentioned. I looked at the XMA-1 manual and it doesn't mention anything about being CeNET capable so I'm thinking it might not work. But Definitely Xort should call Clarion to be sure.
where'd you find the manual? i looked with no luck

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
Ed...Unfortunately I think Maines solution will not work for your unit. I have Clarions 16 page compatibility chart book for IPOD and it says NOTHING they sell will make your unit compatible. If you or anyone else would like the booklet in pdf form...just send me a pm with your e-mail. You can double check with Clarion...
Customer Service: 800-347-8667

Your actual product manual can be found here. http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/676/546/XMA1(Manual).pdf

Alternatively and more cheaply...since you do have a cassette with a cassette adapter you can simply play through one of those with good sound quality.
Amazon.com: Coby CA-747 Dual Position CD/MD/MP3 Cassette Adapter: Electronics
READ the reviews about mod needed for some auto reverse decks !

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Ed...I think Maines solution will work for you while still preserving your changer as an option as it looks like it will daisy chain. Alternatively and more cheaply...since you do have a cassette with a cassette adapter you can simply play through one of those with good sound quality.

That's assuming he actually has a CeNET connector. If it's a CBUS connector then we'l have to do a little hacking. It IS doable though.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ed...I think Maines solution will work for you while still preserving your changer as an option as it looks like it will daisy chain. Alternatively and more cheaply...since you do have a cassette with a cassette adapter you can simply play through one of those with good sound quality.
Cam
You're lucky I'm not a dog, I would tear into you for not reading my posts :D ...I don't have a cassette player.

i used one of those to convert from a cassette only to portable CD player back in the day, with my old boat.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Honestly, why go throw good money after bad. As mentioned, after you set up your IPOD, you will never be able to imagine listening to music without it.

I would just go spend a few bucks to get a stereo that will support the IPOD. Most do now. You will be happy with it.

My opinions, though I love to spend your money!

- CD

·
Registered
928 Posts
Dump the changer and put all your music on the Ipod.

Our unit has CD with external CD changer but no cassette player. The unit isn't that old, just before the ipod generation. I pulled it out and looked for extra jacks but found none. Thinking of using the CD changer jack. Possibly with an A/B switch so I could still use the changer.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Hehe. I've been all through this stuff trying to interface with various car stereos plus I researched my CMD4 before buying it so I know all about the CeNET interface stuff.

Plus I'm good with Google. :D. Anyway, If you have a square connector then run, don't walk, to your nearest Clarion dealer and buy an iPod interface. If it's round then we'll have to hack. How are your soldering skills?

Don't know...I'll check next time around

must be some serious music lovers to jump on this with all this great info.

Thanks again all

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Hehehe. If it were me spending his money I'd go buy a CMD5, iPod Interface, and Sirius interface. Wrap it all up with a Sirius receiver and a one year's subscription.

then install it all in MY boat. :laugher :laugher :laugher

Honestly, why go throw good money after bad. As mentioned, after you set up your IPOD, you will never be able to imagine listening to music without it.

I would just go spend a few bucks to get a stereo that will support the IPOD. Most do now. You will be happy with it.

My opinions, though I love to spend your money!

- CD

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hehe. I've been all through this stuff trying to interface with various car stereos plus I researched my CMD4 before buying it so I know all about the CeNET interface stuff.

Plus I'm good with Google. :D. Anyway, If you have a square connector then run, don't walk, to your nearest Clarion dealer and buy an iPod interface. If it's round then we'll have to hack. How are your soldering skills?
Will report back in the next day or 2 when I get to the boat.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
You probably won't be suprised...

...but boy do I feel dumb. The unit DOES have a cassette player under the door! :eek: :eek: No idea why I thought otherwise. I thought it had a single CD slot under the door with a 6 disc changer added on.

The plug into the external changer is ROUND. :(

Looks like I'll be going with the cassette adapter for the forseeable future and save my cash & efforts for other stuff. Only hassle will be charging the ipod. I haven't looked yet but I suspect I can get a 12 volt external supply for it.

As much as I like the latest greatest stuff, this setup will work fine. I have volume control in the cockpit for the stereo.

Thanks everybody

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Not commenting... I could...but I'm not... :) :laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher
...but boy do I feel dumb. The unit DOES have a cassette player under the door! :eek: :eek: No idea why I thought otherwise. I thought it had a single CD slot under the door with a 6 disc changer added on.

The plug into the external changer is ROUND. :(

Looks like I'll be going with the cassette adapter for the forseeable future and save my cash & efforts for other stuff. Only hassle will be charging the ipod. I haven't looked yet but I suspect I can get a 12 volt external supply for it.

As much as I like the latest greatest stuff, this setup will work fine. I have volume control in the cockpit for the stereo.

Thanks everybody

21 - 40 of 71 Posts