SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
irwin 38 built 1971/2

i own a 1971/2 irwin38 aft cockpitt with a swing keel, the question is how many were built ,and how many are still around , the one i have is in bad shape and in need of alot of work, i paid $4000 for her , does any one know what these boats are worth ?? and if any one owns one is this a nice boat to sail and use , i live in florida in stuart and just looking to sail around the area and to the bahamas which is around 75 miles away any info would be great thank you

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
A friend has owned an Irwin 39 of 70s vintage for about 30 years. He has cruised the boat extensively and even had some success in distance PHRF races. Not sure about how the 38 differs from the 39, but I strongly suspect it is a keel-centerboard, not a swing keel (as my friend's boat is). Irwin's are typical production boats of the era with so-so quality construction. Based on your (very) low price paid, I am sure you have a project boat. Costs of repair and refitting a boat of that size are not going to be inexpensive. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts